PDA

View Full Version : I want to make a salve for dry sore hands...

ShangriLewis
02-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Sorta like a a cross between a body butter and bio freeze. Any suggestions or recipes? I want it to be more like a thick beeswax with essential oils. It is for my husbands hands. We have tried everything. I would probably order supplies from Rose Mountain.

believer
02-12-2014, 07:16 PM
I would like something good for my hands too. I have tried many otc lotions, coconut oil, some burt's bees stuff, but my hands remain dry and on weekends when I work at the dept store - they are much worse.
Waiting to find out some good ideas here. :think

NurseKristie
02-12-2014, 07:37 PM
I would think a half and half coconut oil and shea butter with essential oils would do the trick. That would be very thick.

ShangriLewis
02-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Shea butter is good. Coconut oil makes it worse. Coconut oil seems good for summer but not winter. My husband works on trains running in and outside. His left hand is worse and two doctors have told him Raynauds. His hands will crack and then be numb. Righteous mama had a great salve with beeswax and patchouli and vanilla. But, I was hoping something with some heat or eucalyptus.

I found some things at Pinterest with arnica, st Johns, and cayenne.

He loves eucalyptus, sage, patchouli types of smells. I would love something that is warming so when it is freezing temps he can put that on a feel it in his joints.

KarenBoo
02-12-2014, 08:43 PM
I love to make my own lotions and body butters. I also love to just throw in a bunch of ingredients and see what I get! :shifty:giggle

I would recommend for dry cracked hands to use a mix of shea butter, cocoa butter, a liquid oil (whatever you like - olive oil, sunflower oil, etc.), and the secret ingredient....lanolin. Oh yes, beeswax too. And whatever essential oils you like. I would also add some Vit E after the melting has been done.

What I do is really simple. I put it all solid oils in a mason jar and then put that in a pot with water, and turn the burner on low. (with a tight lid) Let that melt, then pull it out of the pot of water. Then add in the liquid oils, EOs, and Vit E.

Then I put it in the fridge and every 5 minutes I zap it with my wand blender. You could also put it in a bowl and use a hand mixer. I do this until it's nice and cool. It'll look like lotion when it's done.

It might smell a little sheepy, but the EOs ought to cover that pretty good. Apply liberally at night and sleep with socks over his hands. Do that for a few night in a row. During the day, he can still use it, but it'll be pretty greasy. But he can smear it on the back sides of his hands anyway.