PDA

View Full Version : Dairy Sensitivity or Normal Toddler Junk?

hippiehobbit
02-11-2014, 01:31 PM
This post might belong in the "Cooking with Allergies" section…or it might belong in the "Vegetarian/Vegan" section…so if it shouldn't be here, please feel free to move it!

My 18 month old has had a cold/cough with runny nose or an ear infection since November. We generally treat things homeopathically, but this last ear infection was just too much, so we put her on antibiotics. I've kept her away from play groups and the church nursery all winter because of the recurring colds and sniffles. (I hate the thought of my kid making other kids sick!)

I was thinking that it was just normal toddler sickness until this last ear infection. Now, I'm starting to wonder if it could be diet-related. She won't drink cow's milk, but she loves yogurt and cheese. I know dairy can cause inflammation and immune system problems in some people, but I don't really know what it looks like. Anyone have experience with this? What do the symptoms look like in toddlers? My other thought was that it could be a wheat allergy…any ideas?

And then, there's part 2 of my question. (Sorry this is so long!) We are vegetarians, so eliminating dairy from my daughter's diet would mean she's basically vegan. Any thoughts on how to guarantee she gets enough calories and all the necessary nutrients?

Thanks for any advice or input, and again, sorry this is so long!

mountainash
02-11-2014, 03:28 PM
My daughter was nine months when she got a really severe ear infection. I gave her little spoonfuls of yogurt to counteract the effects of the antibiotics. We were doing baby-led solids and delaying solids a bit due to the fact that my firstborn had a food sensitivity. It was her first time having dairy directly (as opposed to thru my diet). As soon as the antibiotics ran out, the ear infection came back. Once again i gave her yogurt and once again the ear infection returned. On the third go-around with ear infection I finally connected the dots. I stopped giving her any dairy and the ear infection went away.

When she turned two I began to wonder if she had outgrown the dairy sensitivity. She had a night-terror the first time we trialed goat's milk. If she had an accidental exposure to dairy, she'd have a night-terror.

Annainprogress
02-11-2014, 05:02 PM
I don't know enough about dairy allergy to comment directly on that, but in terms of diet - do you do eggs? they're high in calories (especially the yolk - also good for iron). I'd also be adding in more ground nuts and seeds (almond and sesame are good for calcium too) and good fat sources like avocado and coconut oil.

hippiehobbit
02-13-2014, 08:14 AM
My daughter was nine months when she got a really severe ear infection. I gave her little spoonfuls of yogurt to counteract the effects of the antibiotics. We were doing baby-led solids and delaying solids a bit due to the fact that my firstborn had a food sensitivity. It was her first time having dairy directly (as opposed to thru my diet). As soon as the antibiotics ran out, the ear infection came back. Once again i gave her yogurt and once again the ear infection returned. On the third go-around with ear infection I finally connected the dots. I stopped giving her any dairy and the ear infection went away.

When she turned two I began to wonder if she had outgrown the dairy sensitivity. She had a night-terror the first time we trialed goat's milk. If she had an accidental exposure to dairy, she'd have a night-terror.

That's so interesting! And, of course, since she's been on antibiotics, I've been pushing the yogurt, and she loves it. Yesterday was our first totally dairy-free day for her. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes. Thanks for the help!

---------- Post added at 07:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

I don't know enough about dairy allergy to comment directly on that, but in terms of diet - do you do eggs? they're high in calories (especially the yolk - also good for iron). I'd also be adding in more ground nuts and seeds (almond and sesame are good for calcium too) and good fat sources like avocado and coconut oil.

I don't do eggs (just because I don't like them), but my husband does, and my daughter seems to as well. We do lots of avocado and coconut oil, but I hadn't really thought about the nuts and seeds! Great idea! Thanks for the help!

NurseKristie
02-13-2014, 12:45 PM
It is very possible. Another times chronic ear infections can be linked to a vaccine reaction. Do the infections line up with any shots?

Try cutting out dairy for a few weeks and see how it goes. Is she congested at all? Nasal stuffiness?

hippiehobbit
02-13-2014, 12:49 PM
It is very possible. Another times chronic ear infections can be linked to a vaccine reaction. Do the infections line up with any shots?

Try cutting out dairy for a few weeks and see how it goes. Is she congested at all? Nasal stuffiness?

No, she got the first round of the DTaP several months ago, but the timing doesn't quite line up. Right now, it's a lot of sneezing and a drippy nose. I'm definitely going to eliminate it for a few weeks at least. I didn't realize how heavily I relied on dairy for her snacks until it wasn't an option anymore! Even if she's not sensitive to it, I was probably still giving her too much.

NurseKristie
02-19-2014, 08:26 AM
I completely understand. Dairy has never been an option for us because the allergies and sensitivities showed up early. How I would LOVE to just hand him a piece of cheese sometimes!