PDA

View Full Version : Baby Iron supplement

Godslilgirl225
02-06-2014, 02:21 PM
My sweet boy is 10months old and for the most part EBF still. He will take a few bites of at least one meal of homemade purees, but not daily. I have done some reading about iron supplements being needed if baby isn't getting enough solids? Our dr hasn't said anything, other than "yes he should have them" when I brought it up.

My problem is that the D drops that we were told to give him really messed with his tummy/ability to poo. I avoided the problem by taking vitamin D myself so he could get it that way. Is there anything I can do to make sure he is getting the proper amount of iron without having to give him infant drops?

Thanks!

Katigre
02-06-2014, 02:27 PM
I would not supplement iron without a blood test confirming he is low.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

Godslilgirl225
02-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Is it something I should worry about if he seems fine? He is high percentages for all growth areas and is a happy energetic guy. I dont want to have to draw blood unless we absolutely have to...

Kiara.I
02-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Agreed. He gets iron from breastmilk still. The kellymom article on iron supplementation is a good one. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron/

If he is in a low-risk category (full-term, delayed cord clamping, no supplementing with formula) then I would expect that iron won't be an issue at all.

Regarding the vitamin D, did you get the one-drop dose kind (D-Drops or the like) or the nasty D-Vi-Sol stuff? If it was the full-dropper kind, try the one-drop kind. Much better. And you should probably still be supplementing Vitamin D, although good on you for supplementing yourself! :rockon It's good for mamas, too!

Godslilgirl225
02-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Agreed. He gets iron from breastmilk still. The kellymom article on iron supplementation is a good one. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron/

If he is in a low-risk category (full-term, delayed cord clamping, no supplementing with formula) then I would expect that iron won't be an issue at all.

Regarding the vitamin D, did you get the one-drop dose kind (D-Drops or the like) or the nasty D-Vi-Sol stuff? If it was the full-dropper kind, try the one-drop kind. Much better. And you should probably still be supplementing Vitamin D, although good on you for supplementing yourself! :rockon It's good for mamas, too!
Who makes the one drop kind? Could I get it at like a cvs or walmart? It was the full dropper D drops, it was terrible!

Ok, he is for sure it the low risk category then :) thank you!

Kiara.I
02-06-2014, 02:38 PM
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=d+drops There you go! :tu

Yeah, the dropper-ful stuff is AWFUL. And, you know, made by a formula company. ;)

Godslilgirl225
02-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Very true, I thought it was strange that he "needed" a formula co produced supplement.

Thanks again so much!!

Katigre
02-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Did your son have delayed cord clamping or was his cord cut right away at birth? Was your iron level during pregnancy good or too low? Was he born early (before 38/39 weeks) or at term?

Is it something I should worry about if he seems fine? He is high percentages for all growth areas and is a happy energetic guy. I dont want to have to draw blood unless we absolutely have to...
Blood draws done by a well trained phlebotomist are very quick and easy for babies. I have my dr's office give us a referral to a lab like quest diagnostics and they're awesome - very fast and easy. The toddler sits in my lap and I sing while they do the draw. It's quick and they barely notice.

I personally do a blood draw about a year old to check iron, vit d, and lead levels so why not just so it then?

How much vitamin d are you taking? It takes over 5000iu/day from mom to supplement the baby (I do this too).

Sundance
02-06-2014, 02:57 PM
I just spent a LOT of time reading about iron, because my newborn had low hemoglobin, and her pediatrician wanted her on iron.

From my reading, once a baby reaches ~6 months, their iron stores are pretty low & the small amount found in breastmilk isn't enough to sustain them without food supplements (or iron supplements, if solids aren't happening & it's a concern).

Personally, I'd get blood checked before supplementing anything (it's really not a big deal & it doesn't do anything to mess up their gut, like a supplement might.)

The hemoglobin & iron screen will put your mind at ease (or tell you if supplementation is a good idea).

Also, the D-drops that is just 1 drop are called "D-drops", and you can get them almost anywhere.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Oh, I cross-posted with Katigre.

I also take about 6000 iu of vitamin D & supplement baby about 1000 & her levels are perfect (but we all metabolize it differently, so it's best to have a blood-draw done for that, too, if you're concerned about it & to figure out what your ideal supplemental dose is)

Godslilgirl225
02-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Did your son have delayed cord clamping or was his cord cut right away at birth? Was your iron level during pregnancy good or too low? Was he born early (before 38/39 weeks) or at term?

Blood draws done by a well trained phlebotomist are very quick and easy for babies. I have my dr's office give us a referral to a lab like quest diagnostics and they're awesome - very fast and easy. The toddler sits in my lap and I sing while they do the draw. It's quick and they barely notice.

I personally do a blood draw about a year old to check iron, vit d, and lead levels so why not just so it then?

How much vitamin d are you taking? It takes over 5000iu/day from mom to supplement the baby (I do this too).

I had to have a csection for my little breech boy...so i dont know how long after he was born but i do know daddy cut it while we were still in the operating room. I had normal everything when they did my blood work while pregnant. And he was born at 37weeks...but I was told that was full term?

I also dont know if we can afford the blood work...but I will if he needs it. I am taking 1000 i.u of D. The pharmacist said that if my levels are normal I shouldnt take more than that (along with my prenatal).

Katigre
02-06-2014, 03:45 PM
I had to have a csection for my little breech boy...so i dont know how long after he was born but i do know daddy cut it while we were still in the operating room. I had normal everything when they did my blood work while pregnant. And he was born at 37weeks...but I was told that was full term?

I also dont know if we can afford the blood work...but I will if he needs it. I am taking 1000 i.u of D. The pharmacist said that if my levels are normal I shouldnt take more than that (along with my prenatal).
Given this then I would get his blood tested and expect his iron to be low - it should be covered 100% as preventative care under insurance.

He has several risk factors for having low iron at his age:
1. Age at birth (the final few weeks are huge for building iron stores, and he was born early)
2. Immediate cord clamping is standard with a csection and reduced 1/3 of his blood, taking 2-3 months of his iron stores
3. Not eating solid foods with iron at 10 months

4. The pharmacist is wrong about the vitamin d. To have enough pass through your milk to be the requirement of a supplement you need to take far more.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17661565/

Godslilgirl225
02-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Given this then I would get his blood tested and expect his iron to be low - it should be covered 100% as preventative care under insurance.

He has several risk factors for having low iron at his age:
1. Age at birth (the final few weeks are huge for building iron stores, and he was born early)
2. Immediate cord clamping is arranged with a csection and reduced 1/3 of his blood, taking 2-3 months of his iron stores
3. Not eating solid foods with iron at 10 months

4. The pharmacist is wrong about the vitamin d. To have enough pass through your milk to be the requirement of a supplement you need to take far more.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17661565/

Ok! I will call tomorrow! I wish they would check levels as a routine bc I have been worried about him having too much too. Like the full dropper when he was two weeks old...it just seemed like so much! And it was the same amt for a yr old too!