PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take turmeric?

ShangriLewis
02-06-2014, 01:09 AM
If so, how much and how (tablets, spice...) and why. I am looking into it for joint problems.

treehugginmama
02-06-2014, 03:25 AM
I took capsules. It's important it has curcumin in it for absorption. I just took what was recommended in the bottle. It helped with my joint and even my mood I think but increased my headaches

believer
02-06-2014, 08:37 AM
I have wondered about this too. I have seen things about using it fresh as a tea but have never seen it fresh in a store. I have tried using it more in my cooking, but probably don't use enough to make any difference.

Pragmatist
02-06-2014, 08:40 AM
We use it a LOT in cooking. My DH is from India and we buy the spice in bulk from the local Indian store.

poleidopy
02-06-2014, 09:54 AM
If so, how much and how (tablets, spice...) and why. I am looking into it for joint problems.

Yes. I take it twice daily for severe joint and muscle pain. It helps A TON! We buy it in bulk, and I eat foods made with turmeric in them several times per week, (LOTS of Indian foods, YUM!) but it never made a noticeable difference in the pain that way. I need the concentrated amount that comes in supplement form.

I get mine through my ND, and it's called Curcumax Pro. I have tried several different types/brands, including the most expensive one from WF (Curamin, extra strength.) When I bought that one, an older lady stopped me and told me how much it helped her hubby who was in severe pain constantly, and now he's no longer in pain, and she was there to buy some for herself, too. That one helped me a lot, but not as much as the one I take now. I take two tablets, twice a day. When my pain gets really bad, unbearable, I take 3 tablets, 2x/day until it subsides, then go back to two.

milkdud
02-06-2014, 10:14 AM
:cup

HuggaBuggaMommy
02-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Dh drinks warm turmeric milk almost every night. A cup of almond milk, a tablespoon of turmeric, and a teaspoon of cinnamon.

I do capsules when we can afford them.

milkdud
02-06-2014, 07:15 PM
Does it taste like anything?

DancingWithElves
02-06-2014, 07:33 PM
it's such a wonderful supplement and it helps SO many people for a variety of illnesses. what i find interesting, is that even plain ol' turmeric powder works. some of the cheaper brands (anecdotally) work wonders just as well as the fancy brands. so, that's interesting... :tu

sadly, it does NUFFIN' for me :pout i had such high hopes and i seem to be the perfect candidate, but it does blessed nothing for me. i do have a peculiar genetic inflammatory condition, and i'm guessing that's what it is :shrug3 :violin

ShangriLewis
02-07-2014, 12:48 AM
My husband works in the cold and his joints are really bothering him. He was diagnosed with Raynauds at one point. But, his left arm is worse. His hand gets cracked and numb. I will have to check out caps as well. I did find the info on the milk tea. I guess it is a traditional yogi after workout drink. He could easily do that after work I think. I do cook Indian food. But, when he leaves for work for a week, he doesn't. I am going to send a bottle of it with him to shake on his food this week. See if it helps.

Sundance
02-07-2014, 05:09 AM
I don't....but I read this thread title enough times yesterday that I dreamed about turmeric last night :giggle.

I built a snowman out of it!

milkdud
02-07-2014, 06:23 AM
For anyone else wondering, turmeric milk mostly tastes like the added spices. We all liked it. :tu

ShangriLewis
02-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Azure standard has fresh turmeric and you can juice it. It looks like orange ginger. But, man is it spendy.

ThreeKids
02-07-2014, 11:40 AM
I use turmeric to try to keep throat infections at bay. It helps me gain ground, but I fight a losing battle. If I need it to really stick to my tonsils, I'll add the milk, but mostly I boil it into a thick tea and sometimes add ginger or honey.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

The chili I just ate had a lot of turmeric in it. I didn't use much of the last turmeric tea I made since I only eat a spoonful at a time mostly, so I dumped it all in the chili. I always use turmeric in the chili. Dh complains, but not because of the taste, because I'm not trying to get closer to his mom's chili. I also use turmeric in stews.

DancingWithElves
02-07-2014, 08:09 PM
a senior friend just takes a teaspoon of plain ol' spice from the jar and mixes into his juice. takes care of his knee arthritis :highfive

i've juiced and tinctured fresh turmeric before, it's very affordable here at indian grocery. :yes

it's also fabulous for digestive issues :tu

ShangriLewis
02-08-2014, 04:08 AM
I wish we had an Indian grocery within a couple hundred miles :p. I would drive for it.

WanderingJuniper
02-08-2014, 06:26 PM
My husband was taking it to help keep his Lyme swelling down. Now my son is. They take capsules. I wish I could get my family to eat food seasoned with it but they are resistant.