PDA

View Full Version : Help for 2yo and flu/fever

RealLifeMama
02-01-2014, 12:11 PM
I have had the flu this week, and now my 2yo is the first child to catch it. Poor thing. She got a fever last night. I was up with her almost all night. It was about 101.5, but this morning and today it has been in the 103.5 range all day. Since almost losing a little one during a febrile seizure incident, I medicate if the fever is 103 or higher. I tried giving her some tylenol. I chose that over the ibuprofin because I remember back in 2009 people saying it was dangerous to give ibuprofin to young children with the H1N1 flu because it could cause hemorrhagic lungs or wet lungs. She gagged a lot of it up, so I do not know how much tylenol she got, but her fever went down a smidge for about 10 minutes, then it was right back up again.
We have given her sambucol and a bath. I can get her to drink a couple sips of water at a time every 30 minutes or so. I do not know what else to do for her. I am so worried! I am not 100 percent, either. DH can't miss work anymore, so he needs to stay well and I am doing most of the caregiving.
What else can we try to get the fever down? Any other boosters you like for a child this age? She was taking her sambucol and Vit D and C every day for a preventative measure until I got sick on Tuesday night. But then, I was not really able to administer everything. I know the kids are going to start all coming down with it. Please pray for us!

WingsOfTheMorning
02-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Echinacea tincture is another immune booster and it tastes pretty good.

I was able to get DD2 to drink more by sipping from an open cup. If their throat or ears are bothering them, it will hurt more to suck from a straw or sports bottle. And yeah, I had to put the cup to her mouth every 30 minutes or so. Fruit, frozen fruit, or Popsicles (from juice or fruit, not sugary ones) can also help.

For her fever, it helped when I undressed her to her panties and kept wiping a cool cloth over her back.

mamacat
02-01-2014, 01:10 PM
Flu and colds supposed to hesl much more quickly with elderberry syrup and for fever wuld use cloths and socks wrung out in diluted ACV.It really works! For those old enough to swallow tablest Calcium LACTATE helps with aches and fevers too