PDA

View Full Version : Candida and different diets

JosiAtara
01-30-2014, 09:17 PM
Short story:

Who has dealt with candida and had success or failure when using the GAPS or BE diets? (bonus points if you know your blood type)

Here's the long story:

I've been dealing with Candida probably most of my life, but it's only been a HUGE issue these last three years. I went on the anti-candida diet but not properly (like not cutting out diary as I should have, and in frustration, going off and on the diet about 3 or so times).

I just saw an article that suggested GAPS. It explained how the anti-candida diet doesn't work, because when you cut out ALL sugar sources, you can cause the candida to be sent elsewhere in the body, and right now I feel like I'm worse than before even though I've been eating mostly according to the diet for a while now.

Then I read the article comparing BED and GAPS (from BED's POV) http://bodyecology.com/gapsdiet#differences. They made good points, and I WILL say I agree with the blood-type issue (keeping your blood type in mind with what diet you choose). I really need to do something about this now and wanted to see what others have said--if any have done either the BE or GAPS diets and how long it worked, or if it didn't help/made things worse.

sweetpeasmommy
01-30-2014, 10:16 PM
We did quitewell on GAPS but it took a year. We had tried everything else, including long term rx meds. I am type O, ds is type B.

My long term BED friends have converted to GAPS and like it much better.

camperjen
01-31-2014, 06:38 AM
I'm type 0- and the only thing that works for my yeast is probiotics at high levels - three capsules three times a day until symptoms wane (possibly a month or more) and then two capsules twice a day for another few months. If I stop taking probiotics, the yeast eventually comes back, every time. Then I try to cut sugars, breads, etc, and it's never enough to even make it wane until I start back on probiotics.

DancingWithElves
02-05-2014, 07:43 PM
here's my fundamental belief about yeast:

it will die after the patient, one can't starve it out. poisoning it only works for small, localized infections; for systemic you'll poison the whole person before killing the yeast. THE way to kill it is for the robust immune system to do the job. in the presence of a robust immune system, some herbs and supplements may help.

so to that end, the way one does BE or GAPS diet can be such that it supports, harms the immunity, or anything in between. :)

a while ago i worked with a nurse who used to respond to offers of flu shot "WHA? FLU NEEDS THE SHOT FOR ME!" :lol that's my goal in life, to have that immune system. I'm a lot closer today, in part thanks to my GAPS adventures, than i was 3 years ago.

Aerynne
02-05-2014, 08:18 PM
I have no candida problems on a low-fat vegan diet. A fatty diet of any kind causes candida problems for me. I know that is the less popular viewpoint but that is just my experience.