PDA

View Full Version : Contagiousness of croup/cold?

tnaallen
01-29-2014, 10:55 PM
Our family was getting sick over a two to three week period, but we've all been pretty well for a week. Back on January 4th ds threw up, and a few days later dd2 did. Both were mild and only two times. No one else threw up. Soon after dd2 started coughing and having mild cold symptoms, and by the 10th ds had full blown croup out of the blue. Was a horrible weekend handling the croup, but he was the only one who got it. The rest of us, except dd1 ended up having a bad cold/cough. About 1week after ds's croup episodes we all got the stomach flu except dd2. Once that passed, our residual coughs dried up, and we've all been "well" for at least a week. But suddenly today dd1 was coughing a teeny bit and saying her throat was scratchy. This evening it worsened and she thought she was having an asthma attack, and used her inhaler ( something that she really hasnt needed in like a year). But she kept coughing until her throat really hurt, and BOOM, she suddenly had croup. The barking cough, sounding very hoarse, and was scared because she couldnt talk or breathe too well. We did all our croup treatments and ot got better. But now Im worried. Is this the same cold/cough the rest of us had (including her), or are we looking at a new bug? With being due any day, i dont want us all sick and germing up the house for baby. :nails

houseforjoy
01-30-2014, 08:26 AM
i would do a serious disinfecting house clean :hug and i would also be diffusing a good air cleaning EO

tnaallen
01-30-2014, 08:29 AM
:sigh. It must be new. Dd2 came to me this morning saying she was coughing now. :(

We had this two weeks ago! I disinfected the whole house, washing every knob, light switch sheet, etc. And i avoided letting us play with anyone. I dont know where its coming from now.

mamacat
01-30-2014, 08:38 AM
It sounds like a new one :( Sometimes the inhaler itself will irritate the vocl cords and cause that croup reaction or could be viral.Do you have a neb. she could use instead? neb. with just plain saline would help both chest and throat/croup thing and if she had to include the albuterol it would be less irritating

tnaallen
01-30-2014, 09:01 AM
It sounds like a new one :( Sometimes the inhaler itself will irritate the vocl cords and cause that croup reaction or could be viral.Do you have a neb. she could use instead? neb. with just plain saline would help both chest and throat/croup thing and if she had to include the albuterol it would be less irritating

I do have a nebulizer. I dont know how to do saline in it though. Do they sell a solution over the counter or does it have to be perscription? I tried looking it up when ds had it, but wasnt having luck. Dd1 started having asthma just before i had similar symptoms a couple years ago. We went through steroid treatments, allergy testing, getting inhalers, etc.. then we had our hvac system serviced, and it was so bad that once it was cleaned we all stopped having respiratory issues. Dd still has gotten a mini asthma flare maybe twice since then, but we havent kept up the rx of the inhalers or any asthma treatments since the allergist it was more about allergy maintenance than true asthma. All that to say, we never really used the nebulizer and our knowledge on it all is limited. Weve tried to avoid the albuterol at all costs in favor of natural treatments.

Weezie
01-30-2014, 01:31 PM
I've only seen it as a script. I've wondered this myself. Maybe Google distilled water in nebulizer and see what comes up?

mamacat
01-30-2014, 01:33 PM
8 cups filtered water per half tsp (non iodized)sea salt :Pour the water into saucepan and heat on high until boiling. Once boiling, cover the pot and allow to boil for 5 minutes.

Remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

Pour the salt into the cooled, sterilized water and stir to dissolve. Stir thoroughly until there is no grit in the bottom of the pot.

Use the saline solution immediately or put into a sterilized storage container and store in the refrigerator.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_7618717_make-saline-solution-nebulizer.html#ixzz2rupoWiQg

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

this other one says these amts:http://www.pennilessparenting.com/2012/01/homemade-saline-solution-recipe.html

Weezie
01-30-2014, 01:34 PM
I just read you can ask the pharmacist for it. A script is not necessary, unless you want insurance to pay for it.

tnaallen
01-30-2014, 03:20 PM
I just read you can ask the pharmacist for it. A script is not necessary, unless you want insurance to pay for it.

:think I wonder how much it'd be. I should call. $5-$10 is so worth not dealing with all the boiling and measuring. :shifty Plus, I get nervous making something myself that gets breathed deep into the lungs. Not that I wouldn't do it though..... :lol

mamacat
01-30-2014, 03:26 PM
I would also prob ask pharmacist for it.maybe could call local pharm?