PDA

View Full Version : My parakeet in a long slow decline

Calliope
01-23-2014, 05:49 PM
She is over 10 years old. Over the past few months, we've noticed that she was having a lot more difficultly getting airborne. She eventually started falling like a stone rather than landing gracefully and we would have to help her get back to her cage because she couldn't fly back anymore. About two-three weeks ago, she stopped perching. Usually, that is THE END for birds. Once they start floor sitting, it's usually not more than a couple days. Well, she's still going. I got her on some improved supplements and I thought she was rallying, but ugh, I'm really struggling now about what the humane thing is to do. She sits all day on the floor fluffed up and has to use her wings for balance. She's gets up to her food dish and watering cup, but she's just feathers and bones now. Tonight, I was checking on her and she's developing ulcers on her feet. :cry I cleaned and put ointment on them, but they are clearly giving her pain.

If you have ever had a bird, you know it is an ordeal to get them treated. I needed to put a finch to sleep once in Dallas and had to drive halfway across the city to find an avian vet. The local vet wouldn't see him even though I assured them I wasn't seeking treatment that time.

I don't know what to do. She could go on like this for months or die tomorrow.

BriansLovie
01-23-2014, 06:15 PM
I'm sorry :(. My dad had to drown a parakeet who was egg bound... He said it was gentle and she didn't fuss at All. I'm sorry, it's rough :(

Elora
01-23-2014, 06:42 PM
:bheart i'm sorry

Glitterfish
01-23-2014, 06:54 PM
:( That's so hard. I hope she decides for you soon :hugheart

JessicaTX
01-23-2014, 07:00 PM
I'm so sorry =( My parakeet had a long drawn out dying process and I struggled daily with what the humane treatment for the little guy was. It was a relief when death finally came.

WildFlower
02-01-2014, 02:16 PM
I am so sorry :( it's so hard to see a pet suffer. I had to put a pet to sleep once. There is a human way to do it at home with baking soda and vinegar. It's not "fun" but definitely humane and painless.

Calliope
02-01-2014, 02:20 PM
She's still going. Her foot wounds are healing. She's still so thin and doesn't perch for long, but she seems alert enough.

Calliope
02-28-2014, 01:09 PM
Penelope died sometime last night. :bheart She was a wonderful parakeet and without a doubt the most beautiful I'd ever seen. I'm actually glad she went on for a time. Her feet wounds healed and she seemed alert enough yesterday. I can rest assured now that I gave her the best care I could until the end and that she did not suffer. My sweet little budgie.

BriansLovie
03-08-2014, 06:45 PM
I'm so sorry :(

light of mine
03-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Thankful she had someone to take such good care of her. I think parakeets are just some of the sweetest best pets ever :hug2

liamum
03-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Oh no :bheart I am so sorry!

Earthmummy07
03-08-2014, 07:26 PM
:hugheart