PDA

View Full Version : Sprouted grain breads, homemade

Taedareth
01-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Do you sprout your own grains and make bread? Not the Essene dehydrated bread patties, but regular bread :giggle

I've been reading about methods for reducing phytic acid in grains (can post links if anybody's interested) and I'm going to try cornbread.

First I'll sprout dried corn (a flint corn intended for grinding into flour or polenta). Sprout for 3 days until they have little white tails. I don't know how much this reduces phytates, but it must be some. Then, pour some water and whey into the blender and grind up the sprouting kernels. Then add fresh-ground rye flour (not sprouted), equalling 10% the amount of corn. Pour in a bowl and stand 24 hours at 100*F (by setting the bowl on top of a food dehydrator). This should greatly reduce, possibly eliminate, the phytates.

Then I'll pour off the soaking water and add white flour + all the other cornbread ingredients (eggs, salt, baking powder). And bake!

Tell me about what you've done! :popcorn

2TMama
01-13-2014, 01:30 PM
I've been interested in this, but have never done it. (I think I first read about it inNourishing Traditions ?)

Would love to see your links & hear how your first attempt goes.

I've pinned some recipes from pinterest......but know nobody IRL who has done it ;)

Taedareth
01-13-2014, 01:56 PM
I found helpful info on phytates here:

http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/living-with-phytic-acid

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2010/09/reducing-phytic-acid-in-grains-and-legumes.html

DancingWithElves
01-17-2014, 08:24 PM
here's what i found:
1. grains will taste extremely delicious, provided they were fresh, and water was kept very clean
if you dehydrate them and make flour:
2. the resulting flour will be almost impossible to form into what looks like "normal" bread and also the texture will be way different.
3. the flour will spoil quickly
if using your "wet" method:
4. the recipes are yummy but limited
5. about every third try resulted in completely uncontrolled rising :lol either totally flattening out or become super lumpy and monter-y looking.

it was never a boring day sort of baking :giggle

NeshamaMama
01-17-2014, 09:48 PM
If I sprout wheat kernels, dehydrate them, and grind them into flour, can I store that in the freezer to keep it from spoiling so quickly?

JoannaV
01-17-2014, 10:24 PM
:cup

DancingWithElves
01-17-2014, 10:28 PM
If I sprout wheat kernels, dehydrate them, and grind them into flour, can I store that in the freezer to keep it from spoiling so quickly?

yes, but afaik it will further influence the end texture. i just felt like i could never make enough :no :shrug3

believer
01-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Where do you get "whey"?
And is that a bad thing to use if you are lactose intolerant?
Is it a liquid or powder?

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Oh, and I have done sprouted kamut breads.
I soak the kamut in water for a few hours then drain it and put it wet in a bowl with a wet towel over it and keep wetting and draining it for a couple of days or so until it forms tails.
Then I dehydrate it in my dehydrator and grind it in my vitamix.
It is a bit coarser than store bought flour and yellower, and the bread it makes is a bit denser - but it is good. It makes fantastic pizza crust.

Taedareth
01-18-2014, 10:21 AM
The kind of whey that would be useful in this context comes from dairy with active enzymes. Homemade kefir is a good source (drain off the whey).

houseforjoy
01-18-2014, 11:15 AM
i have done a couple things. i have sprounted then blended the berries to mix into a dough, but word of warning--blend it up REALLY well. any little "chunks" of berries that aren't purred enough get really really hard!!

i do sprout, then dry, then grind my grain often, and i have always stored it in the freezer. i never noticed any difference in texture in any of my bread or baked goods:shrug3 but i am no food connoisseur either;) i used it in breads cakes muffins with no problem. the only thing i really couldn't use it in was choc chip cookies. they always just got really flat.