PDA

View Full Version : menstral cups

milkmommy
01-04-2014, 10:23 AM
I had a moon cup several years ago and ended up with a huge infection. I can't say for sure it was because of the cup but I was turned off of them for a loong time. I tossed mine as well...
Recently I decided to try the instead soft cups as that is what I can get locally.
I now have a love hate relationship with them

love

Easy to insert
works great I can't feel mine at all
almost no leaks I do get a tiny bit of spotting when at my heaviest but nothing to really complain about.

Hate
the removal it is soooooo messy I haven't dared do this public as it is a bloody mess at home :shifty

SO I keep hearing how products like the diva mooncup are easier to remove. I honestly can't remember what the moon cups removal was like :scratch I do remember I always felt it it wasn't painfull but super annoying still, but I dont remember a messy removal...

So if I love the overall fit of the soft cups but want something way less messy. What should I look for. I can't have anything latex eaither. I have a tilted uterus as well if that matters.

Deanna

houseforjoy
01-04-2014, 12:43 PM
i like the meluna. and it is messy to take out when you are first learning, but then once you get the hang of it it is fine.

Starfox
01-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Tmi, but this is a cup post. :giggle

I stay seated on the toilet when i remove the cup, pulling down and dumping immediately. Then i set it on a folded piece of tp. I wipe, then get up and wash hands, rinse the cup and reinsert. I've don't it in restrooms in public where it is a one toilet bathroom where i can lock the door. :yes

crunchymum
01-04-2014, 01:01 PM
I hated instead cups because of the mess (and they didn't hold enough for me). I have a diva and a meluna soft cup, and I prefer the diva... The meluna soft cup is just too hard for me to insert properly, so it gets messy. The diva doesn't fit like an instead, though. :shrug

mommylove
01-04-2014, 01:03 PM
I know what you mean about the mess with the softcups. Removal is an inevitable mess due to the shape & the angle in which they come out.

Other cups don't have the mess because they're narrow in diameter with high walls. When they come out, they're right side up -- not tilted at all, so everything is completely contained with no spillage.

I have the Mooncup by Keeper, which is silicone. Once I figured out my body's pattern, I know when to empty it before it leaks & there's no mess.

I definitely think it's worth it to try again.

milkmommy
01-05-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm still really unsure on what cup to order.. I can't see where I can get a Meluna to the USA. Looking the lunette and MCUK but my head is spinning..
On a good note though Ive finially learned how to remove the instead cup with out looking like I murdered the family pet :shifty

crunchymum
01-05-2014, 06:34 PM
I got my meluna as part of a co-op, but I know you can find diva at whole foods.

milkmommy
01-06-2014, 01:35 PM
I got my meluna as part of a co-op, but I know you can find diva at whole foods.

I think the Diva will be too long. :scratch No whole foods here eaither what ever I get I'll need to order.

Peridot
01-06-2014, 01:57 PM
I recently figured out how to change my sponge in a public toilet without leaving it look like a murder scene :shifty and I think it might apply, so...

This was kind of an accident- I went to pull my sponge out, and started peeing almost immediately (involuntarily :shifty) and since I'd already peed on my sponge a bit, squeezed it while still peeing a few times.

Viola! My sponge was clean(er) my hands were cleaner too- at least enough that I didn't have to launch a covert operation just to get to the sink :doh - and the toilet was mess-free.

I figured since it was my own pee, it was pretty much clean. :giggle

maybe that would work with a cup?
:shrug3

milkmommy
01-06-2014, 03:42 PM
yea I think I finially figured it out with the soft cup basically I realize peeing before kinda "empties" it anyways :shifty Then I can kinda "bare down" and hook it with my fingers and remove without getting blood everywhere just a bit on the finger tip. (sorry is TMI). It was towards the lighter end of my cycle before I learned though so maybe it was just because of that as well.

Mama Rophe
01-06-2014, 04:07 PM
I LOVE instead cups. I've tried both diva and meluna. They are both very uncomfortable for me. I have worn instead cups everywhere. Camping, shopping, road trips etc. I keep some individually wrapped flushable wipes with me and do exactly as you described. Even on my heaviest days, which can be pretty heavy, I only get a bit on the fingertip.

Maggirayne
01-06-2014, 04:47 PM
I'm still really unsure on what cup to order.. I can't see where I can get a Meluna to the USA. Looking the lunette and MCUK but my head is spinning..
On a good note though Ive finially learned how to remove the instead cup with out looking like I murdered the family pet :shifty
I LOVE my Lunette. I never did figure out how to get the Instead cups out without a mess.

bsebabe
01-12-2014, 07:13 PM
I have a Diva cup and really like it! At home I empty it in the toilet while sitting then lean over and rinse it out before reinserting. In public I empty it (if it's needed... they can hold quite a bit!) then take a wad of paper and wipe it out before reinserting.

I used the disposable cups once (I *think* softcups) because a friend was wondering why she was having trouble with them and wanted me to test them, and I found that they were much more difficult to insert and remove.

milkmommy
01-12-2014, 11:16 PM
Well I'm still deciding. I went ahead and just picked up another batch if the instead. It works super well for me and under $6 its a hard to beat price though I do get $30 for multi use still wins cost wise. I have zero issues with inserting it even the very first time took a little to get how to remove it but wasn't an issue once I did.. Part of me says just don't mess with what is working. :shrug3 I'm looking more for comfort and convience than savings or less "waste" :shifty

crunchymum
01-14-2014, 11:03 AM
yeah, if it ain't broke! ;) like i said, they work terrible for me. i do like the cost savings of the reusable cups - $30 investment 10 years ago is still paying off. :lol

JessicaTX
01-14-2014, 12:02 PM
i totally rinsed and reused the instead cups at home, i only disposed of them at the end of my cycle =D

milkmommy
01-14-2014, 01:04 PM
i totally rinsed and reused the instead cups at home, i only disposed of them at the end of my cycle =D

This is kinda my thinking as well. I'll see what happens next time.

Mama Rophe
01-14-2014, 07:22 PM
I did buy their reusable cup to try out. Honestly, they aren't that much different. Now, I just rinse and reuse for the cycle and throw it at the end.