PDA

View Full Version : Butter cookies like they used to sell in tins? (Danish?)

Quiteria
12-15-2013, 01:40 PM
You know back in the day when they used to sell cookies in tins at Christmas time? And they would just melt in your mouth? I think they were called Danish butter cookies, maybe. Some of them were swirled in shape. So maybe it's the kind that uses a cookie press???

Anyone have a homemade recipe that you know tastes like the ones in the tin?

2sunshines
12-15-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure a homemade recipe, but as a side note, they still sell them. I just saw them in the store the other day. :yes

AngelaVA
12-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Like this http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/25018/butter-rich-spritz-butter-cookies ?

Or maybe these, one review says they taste like the ones in the tin: http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/25017/butter-cookies-v

BelovedDaughter
12-15-2013, 02:35 PM
They are Royal Dansk and I have a tin sitting in my kitchen. Got mine at Walmart. I don't have a homemade recipe, though.

Quiteria
12-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Were they in a tin, BelovedDaughter? I saw them at WalMart in a plastic tub, and eh...they're okay, but it's not the same.

Llee
12-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Blue tin. At Big Lots or Walmart or a Walgreens type store.

celestial princess
12-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Walgreens has them in the tin.

Here is a recipe that looks good: http://www.food.com/recipe/worlds-best-butter-cookies-50684

BelovedDaughter
12-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Were they in a tin, BelovedDaughter? I saw them at WalMart in a plastic tub, and eh...they're okay, but it's not the same.

Yes, they're currently in holiday tins in blue, red, etc. I think they were $3 something. www walmart. com/ip/Royal-Dansk-Danish-Butter-Cookies-12-oz/10818527 <-- Link broken

I have the one in the top middle with Santa, a snowman, and a reindeer with a Christmas tree on it.

gdzprncess
12-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Mmm... Yep. Dansk in the blue tin. Tons of buttery shortbread yumminess.

Llee
12-15-2013, 08:20 PM
I may or may not buy them every single year. :shifty

Stiina
12-15-2013, 08:37 PM
I Always hated them but still got excited when I saw them if I was playing alone in my grandma's basement. Aha!!!! Secret hidden cookie tin!!!! Slowwwwly..carefully...quietly open the lid.....AH! DRAT!!! BUTTONS???!!!!!

No cookies. Just buttons. :roll

Soliloquy
03-08-2020, 03:02 PM
Some of them were swirled in shape. So maybe it's the kind that uses a cookie press???

Anyone have a homemade recipe that you know tastes like the ones in the tin?

I know this thread is ancient but I was browsing. The swirled ones from a press are spritz cookies and they are HEAVENLY. Much better than store-bought Danish butter cookies. You need a cookie press but kids love making them.

Quiteria
03-08-2020, 05:14 PM
Thank you!

I think this next year I might try making them. The ones in the tin have desiccated coconut, which I can't have anymore. Maybe not all of them, but at least one variety in every tin I've seen. So, it's time to make some homemade ones of the coconut-free flavors that I can have.