PDA

View Full Version : Chlorine in the city water and eczema

OnAMission
12-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Apparently our city has had to up the chlorine levels (I think because they tested positive for some bad bacteria in the last couple of months). I obviously don't want bad bacteria, but dd2 gets terrible eczema from chlorine. She has spent the last week wearing clothes as little as possible. It's one thing for us to buy water to drink (the city water tastes horrible now, and the shower smells like the pool, but I digress), but how can she shower or bathe? The guy just came to our house and the chlorine level was 1.5, and they used to keep it 0.5-0.7. I think it was probably even higher yesterday because the water doesn't smell as bad today. Poor dd2 though.

What are your favorite eczema remedies? We have a prescription for a strong steroid cream, but I don't want to slather it all over her. She has eczema on her chest, upper back, elbow creases (this is where it is the worst), and wrists.

Glitterfish
12-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Can you get a filtration system?

Nellie
12-11-2013, 04:08 PM
I was going to suggest a filter too.

Also Salcura Dermaspray and Salcura Zeoderm cream (using both together worked best) were the only thing that worked with my sons eczema (youngest had it on his face, ankle creases and elbow creases). Steroid cream always made it go away only for it to return as soon as the steroid was stopped (even with slowly weaning off the steroid cream). His ankles and face cleared up and the eczema hasn't come back. He has one stubborn patch in one elbow crease which is slowly clearing too.

Andi
12-11-2013, 05:52 PM
I just posted about what worked for our dd's eczema.
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=494920

WingsOfTheMorning
12-11-2013, 06:31 PM
There are filters just for shower heads and bath faucets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

OnAMission
12-12-2013, 04:58 AM
I started looking up filters (mostly shower and sink ones). I'm not sure we are ready to invest in a home filtration system bc we might be moving this spring. The shower filters aren't nearly as expensive as I would have thought! We probably need one for the kitchen sink for drinking and cooking instead of buying water all the time.

Thanks for the eczema suggestions as well! The salcura products sound great to get it back under control!