PDA

View Full Version : Transcendental Meditation - anyone tried it?

Hopetobe
12-04-2013, 06:55 AM
I'm taking a class that covers some info on the mind/brain, and came across this:

http://www.tmeducation.org

I haven't looked at actual studies yet, but this site states that research shows the TM technique has a lot of benefits.

"Scientific research on the Transcendental Meditation program has shown that the daily experience of this state of restful alertness leads to increased creativity, improved learning ability, higher IQ, better moral reasoning, more efficient brain functioning, stress relief and a wide array of health benefits—ranging from normalized blood pressure, reduced need for doctor visits, to a younger biological age."

So, this is interesting to me, and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

mamaeffie
12-04-2013, 06:58 AM
:cup

allisonintx
12-04-2013, 07:05 AM
I think that in a hurried life, learning how to Be Still is a useful skill.

Sparrow
12-04-2013, 07:24 AM
DH's aunt does it. She's the stillest calmest person I know.

Starfox
12-04-2013, 08:04 AM
I would be careful with TM stuff. We live near the Mecca of TM. It is a cult. They take the money of their members, and the top dogs live in huge mansions while a chunk of the flock live in small dorm-like buildings. They want people to think it is just a technique of relaxation, but use that true thing to hook people into the cult.

I do think that meditation has benefits and there is a nugget of good in the stuff, but there is so much yuck wrapped up in the rest it ruins it for me.

Kiara.I
12-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Starfox's post jives with what my parents experienced of their friends doing TM back in the early 70s. :yes

librarianjojo
12-04-2013, 09:01 AM
I do yoga and meditate. I find it relaxes and refreshes me in the midst of a busy day. That said, I would be wary of subscribing to any one program that calls itself a "technique." There are lots of free meditation podcasts, articles, and CDs that don't have a selling point behind them. Many people have been meditating for millennia without the TM folks helping, YKWIM? :giggle

Or, try to easiest meditation of all: find somewhere quiet, get comfortable, close your eyes, and count your breaths. Just 2 minutes of that will get you started.

To summarize: meditate, yes! TM, maybe?