PDA

View Full Version : GF cookies

marbles
12-01-2013, 10:56 AM
I really want to make cookies, but I'm out of sorghum flour and apparently everyone in my town has stopped selling it. I'm using a pomegranate in these cookies and it needs to be used soon so I don't want to wait for anything to come in the mail. So I have:

White rice flour
Brown rice flour
Almond meal
Millet flour
Potato starch

Anyone have good thoughts on a non crumbly gf cookie with these flours? It seems I have a limited selection available to buy here now: amaranth, tapioca, teff, maybe buckwheat.

Maedchen
12-01-2013, 11:26 AM
I know you can use the almond, but I do not have experience with it. Maybe someone else can offer that advice.

I use 3 cups Rice flour, 2 cups Potato Starch (not flour) and 1 cup Tapioca as a general all purpose flour mix. I use it equally as I would have used wheat flour for cookies. (cakes are a little different)
I then add 1 tsp of guar gum in the mix for each cup of flour used. I then use the other ingredients call for in my pre-gluten free recipe.

You can order sorghum flour online from Vitacost, Bobs, amazon. I saw where even bulkfoods.com had started selling it. (Our WalMart was selling it and they stoped. ;/ )

marbles
12-01-2013, 12:00 PM
I know you can use the almond, but I do not have experience with it. Maybe someone else can offer that advice.

I use 3 cups Rice flour, 2 cups Potato Starch (not flour) and 1 cup Tapioca as a general all purpose flour mix. I use it equally as I would have used wheat flour for cookies. (cakes are a little different)
I then add 1 tsp of guar gum in the mix for each cup of flour used. I then use the other ingredients call for in my pre-gluten free recipe.

You can order sorghum flour online from Vitacost, Bobs, amazon. I saw where even bulkfoods.com had started selling it. (Our WalMart was selling it and they stoped. ;/ )

Thank you! I can get tapioca flour I'm pretty sure but I've never used it so I didn't know how it works. I'll see if I can get some today. I found a localish coop that sells sorghum, the whole grain, for a pretty good price but I didn't want to wait on that. Now we can have cookies while we decorate for Christmas!