PDA

View Full Version : vericose veins

Elibellamiah
11-24-2013, 12:17 PM
I have the worst varicose veins since being pregnant, all down my right leg. I don't know why it's only on one leg. I'm not overweight, but I do have a habit of crossing my legs, and I have kids climbing and sitting on me all day long. It's mostly on my thigh and higher :blush, but some going down my calf as well. For some reason being on my period makes them ache, they throb and it feels like bad cramps. Looking online it sounds like the first step is to buy compression hose. Does anyone use any of these? They're really expensive and I don't even know what I would be looking for specifically. Most things look like they're made for the calf, not upper leg.
I have to do something though, I can barely stand.

Indigo
11-24-2013, 05:24 PM
I also have vv on only one leg. My chiropractor told me it is bc my uterus is prolapsed & tipped toward that side. I used the compression hose during pregnancy, but not since. If I am on my feet too much they can be uncomfortable. My GYN also mentioned something about having more prolapse pain when having my period , including w/my vv (I believe due to the weight of the uterus then). HTH.

Elibellamiah
11-25-2013, 06:07 AM
Thanks. I do remember my Obgyn mentioning a partial prolapse before, I wonder if that is what he meant.

PlateauMama
11-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Horse chestnut is supposed to help with vericose veins.

elohcin
11-25-2013, 11:13 AM
I've tried horse chestnut and butchers broom in the past. Didn't notice a difference but I didn't take them for more than a few months, either. I have wanted to try MMH's tincture for varicosities but haven't, though I do love Kettle Care's lotion! It feels super good. I also take vitamin C regularly to help strengthen the vein walls (well that's not WHY I take it but it's an added bonus LOL) I've recently started trying topical ACV on the veins. NO idea if it will work but there seem to be enough success stories to give it a shot! My mom has terrible veins and has had to have several stripped from her entire leg, and I want to avoid that! I have compression stockings but hate wearing them. Have looked into sclerotherapy but that's not something I'd do until I was done having kids. :)

Hopetobe
12-04-2013, 07:15 AM
My chiro says they've had some success with a certain citrus bioflavanoid supplement that contains micronized diosmin and hesperidin. Theirs is for professional use only, but there are health food store brands that contain those. However, I've found some aren't micronized(studies show more effective) and others contain other things as well. I haven't taken it for mine yet as I don't know the breastfeeding safety. I need to call the breastfeeding safety people about it (I forgot the name). There is also a prescription one so hopefully they'll know about it. I found only one study about lactation. It was involving rats and showed a 1% transfer rate in bm.

I wore compression hose during pregnancy. It did help when I was wearing them, but they are hot and uncomfortable. Mine were thigh highs (so not attractive :bag), but they do have even more coverage ones. If you are interested in the hose, you need to get a prescription as non-prescription won't be as compressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)