PDA

View Full Version : Urinary Tract Infection remedies

MummyMenace
11-21-2013, 08:50 AM
I am now on my fourth UTI in four months (end of Aug, end of Sept, end of Oct and now) and am on antibiotics again! I'm currently waiting for a referral to the Urology department for investigations to work out why the reoccurring nature of these infections, but wondered what natural remedies people can suggest to help reduce/prevent another recurrence! Thanks :)

Katigre
11-21-2013, 08:55 AM
I prevented recurring uti's by taking 500mg of vitamin c a day. It made my urinary tract more acidic which prevented the bacteria from sticking.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

doubleblessings
11-21-2013, 11:12 AM
This (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=374793&highlight=garlic+lemonade) thread has some good info

MummyMenace
11-21-2013, 11:31 AM
:ty There's some things in there I can definitely get started on immediately. I'd already been drinking cranberry juice, but maybe not enough :shrug3 And I need to get a bottle out so I can track how much I'm actually drinking...

mamacat
11-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Taking cranberry concentrate is often more effective than the juice which can be only small amt of cranberry with sugars and flavors

elohcin
11-22-2013, 12:31 PM
D-Mannose in particular is a great supplement to take regularly when you're prone to UTI troubles.

LovelyGourmet
11-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Cran-aid Tea worked well for me. I had regular UTI's until I cured one with that and then it was 4 years before I had another one.

You don't want to take it if pregnant or nursing though. Then I've just done vitamin C, cranberry pills and water with a teaspoon of baking soda in it twice a day.

Damselfly
11-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Some branches of the Cherokee used goldenrod flower tea for UTI's. I haven't tried it myself but I have used goldenrod for other things. I feel it's a relatively safe and gentle herb. It might be worth a try. If you use it, try only a small amount first to see how your body responds to it.

TestifyToLove
11-24-2013, 08:40 AM
I will add one addendum to my advice in the linked thread. I have developed kidney stones this year and have had to be treated by a Urologist. The Urologist I see is VERY holistic and focuses on Asian medicine techniques synthesized with western medicine. He also holds a PhD in Biology in addition to his MD. His only addition to my routine for combatting UTIs is that he says probiotics DO help with the issue. He recommended maintenance probiotics twice a day for the rest of my life.

I'm terrible at his advice and only use them when I get an infection though. I don't know if they are boosting or helping. I only know that I have successfully avoided all but ONE round of antibiotics since the last baby was born, and it turns out that if I am now also having kidney stones, then my regiment will also blast out any small kidney stones that I might developed though it might not work for the large ones.

elohcin
11-24-2013, 09:30 AM
I will add one addendum to my advice in the linked thread. I have developed kidney stones this year and have had to be treated by a Urologist. The Urologist I see is VERY holistic and focuses on Asian medicine techniques synthesized with western medicine. He also holds a PhD in Biology in addition to his MD. His only addition to my routine for combatting UTIs is that he says probiotics DO help with the issue. He recommended maintenance probiotics twice a day for the rest of my life.

I'm terrible at his advice and only use them when I get an infection though. I don't know if they are boosting or helping. I only know that I have successfully avoided all but ONE round of antibiotics since the last baby was born, and it turns out that if I am now also having kidney stones, then my regiment will also blast out any small kidney stones that I might developed though it might not work for the large ones.

Oh yes, my DH actually takes a strain that has been shown to be specifically beneficial to the kidneys. The brand is Renadyl or something like that? Might be worth checking into, OP!

Hopetobe
11-24-2013, 01:46 PM
:cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ilovewest
11-26-2013, 12:04 PM
I've always used Uva Ursi (a herb), and it's been miraculous. In western Europe it is widely used for UTIs, and is available at most natural food stores. Not for use while pregnant or nursing, though. Cranberry, as I understand it, is better as a preventative, or for mild/beginning UTI symptoms.

VioletPersuasion
11-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Even better (and cheaper!) than probiotics are lacto-fermented foods, beverages, and condiments.
It helps every area of the body in incredible ways.
I love the power of cultured foods so much that I teach free classes on it, basically give starter cultures away, and have been eating one at every meal for the last year or so.
It's the best thing you could do for yourself! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Blue Savannah
11-26-2013, 10:09 PM
This thread has been very valuable to me this week.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk HD

MummyMenace
11-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks ladies! I'll have to have a look into the ideas - some won't be possible as I'm 26 weeks pregnant, but still lots of options! :) I'm just finishing ABX for this infection, had a blood test today, urine test tomorrow and a urology appointment on 18 Dec, so hopefully a combination of stuff will help break the cycle, otherwise I'm going to be ill over Christmas... :(

illinoismommy
11-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Drink more water and pee more often. But possibly just delivering will fix it. I had this problem when pregnant but never anymore!

VioletPersuasion
11-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks ladies! I'll have to have a look into the ideas - some won't be possible as I'm 26 weeks pregnant, but still lots of options! :) I'm just finishing ABX for this infection, had a blood test today, urine test tomorrow and a urology appointment on 18 Dec, so hopefully a combination of stuff will help break the cycle, otherwise I'm going to be ill over Christmas... :(

Oh my goodness, okay, so another benefit from eating lacto-fermented foods regularly - while pregnant - is midwives who have clients that eat a lot if it, find those clients never have issues with GBS. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)