PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about insulin levels?

Aerynne
11-09-2013, 09:39 PM
I was part of a study on cleft lip and palate (as the mother of my third child, who does not have a cleft lip or palate so I'm in the control group) and got a blood test because they're testing to see if certain factors influence risk of cleft lip and palate.

They sent me the results just as an FYI thing and my insulin level was 2.2, which they said was low. Normal was supposed to be above 2.6. But my blood sugar was fine (76) and my h1c was 4.9. So I guess what I'm asking is how bad is a 2.2 insulin level and could this be anything else other than diabetes (which I obviously don't have), or does it just mean I'm really healthy? If it makes any difference, I had eaten breakfast about 3 hours before and was somewhat hungry when I took the test.

Aerynne
11-10-2013, 07:31 AM
bump

illinoismommy
11-10-2013, 07:54 AM
I'll give this a try, but I don't feel like an expert and asking the question of your doctor might be more helpful.

Our body makes insulin in response to glucose/sugar. In type 2 diabetes your body doesn't produce enough insulin to deal with all the glucose, so your blood sugar goes nutso.

Now if you are eating a diet that avoids sugars and grains, I would think your insulin levels would be low because there's not a constant need to produce more insulin. If you did produce a lot of insulin without enough sugar, you'd be dealing with issues of low blood sugar.

79 is an acceptable blood sugar level for hours after a meal. The ha1c measures if your blood glucose is out of control most of the time, your results say no. So my money is on you eating a low sugar diet. True?

I'd keep an eye on it though and maybe get retested in a year at your doctor in case type 2 diabetes is in your future. You can stave that off by diet.

Aerynne
11-10-2013, 01:50 PM
I do eat a pretty good diet, so that was my guess as well as to why it was so low.