PDA

View Full Version : Need help - Diva Cup?

satin.mama
11-01-2013, 01:20 PM
My period is probably about to come back, as I am night-weaning Bunny (15 months old) at the moment and it's going well. Night-weaning is what it took after having Fawn (when she was 21 months old) to get me ovulating again, and Bunny is now going 9-10 hours at night with no nursing. So I'm feeling some action down there, if you know what I mean. Just feelings. Crampiness. Things happening, I suppose! I'm also SUPER cranky. I assume it's hormones. :shifty

Anyway, I had tried a model 1 Diva Cup before getting pregnant with Fawn, and it never worked for me. I'm an extremely small person with vaginismus issues, and I could simply not get it in comfortably. It poked me every which where even after I had trimmed the end bit like they say you can. So I gave up. Now, after giving birth naturally to two 9lb+ babies, I'm wondering if I should try again - but my question is should I try model 1 because of my size and pain issues, or should I go for model 2 because they just say you should after giving birth? I know my babies were pretty big for my small body. But I still have pain issues down there, so I'm not so sure the births helped in that respect.

Right now I can't afford to buy two different sizes of diva cup if I get this wrong :scratch Any insight??

Thanks! :heart

gpsings
11-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Do You still have your size 1? Maybe try that one again? Once i got used to it, I loved mine.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2

MomtoJGJ
11-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Did you flip it inside out? Trimming didn't work for me. Turning it inside out did.

satin.mama
11-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Unfortunately I gave it to a friend who wasn't grossed out by me having unsuccessfully tried it, so I don't have it any more. But that's really interesting about flipping it inside out - I've never heard of that!! Thank you both. :)

itzj
11-01-2013, 02:32 PM
You may also just need a shorter cup. Or a different stem or no stem. Divas can be stabby.

HuggaBuggaMommy
11-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Did you flip it inside out? Trimming didn't work for me. Turning it inside out did.

I turned mine inside out, too. Much better.

mamamonkey
11-01-2013, 06:18 PM
My Diva stem pinched me. I'm guessing that is what you mean by the stabbing feeling.

I have a MeLuna with no stem that I love.

megbar548
11-01-2013, 08:16 PM
I haven't gone with a reusable cup, mostly because I'm nervous about the stabby/pinching thing you mentioned. And that I just can't bring myself to spend $30 on one if I don't *know* I'm gonna like it and be able to use it...

Before this pregnancy, I'd been using Instead Softcups (a $5 pack of them lasts me about one period length). Thier structure is a lot more like a diaphragm- with the springy ring and a soft flexible cup (though, obviously the cup is larger). Might trying something like that for a month or two to get used to inserting it/positioning it comfortably be helpful?

satin.mama
11-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Megbar, it's really funny that you posted that just then, because a few hours ago I was out doing errands, and while the pharmacy didn't have a Diva Cup (or any other reusable ones), they did have one box of 5 Softcups for $5.50, so I bought them to try out! I figured the same thing - that it might be an idea to try disposable ones first to see if I can get the hang of the general concept. Before I spend $40 on a "real" one!

The MeLuna looks amazing, but unfortunately they can't sell to Canada or the States right now, according to their website :(

Thanks again, ladies. What would I do without GCM? :heart:heart:heart

mipennsn
11-02-2013, 05:13 AM
I know I tried the Diva after ds3 and hated it. Now after having DD, I've figured it out and love it.

After pg can change how they feel or work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Little Forest
11-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Just a word of warning, I have read about accidents and so definitely good to have a back up liner when you are out and about!

I bought a Diva Cup a few years ago but have had so few chances to use it. :doh :giggle
Posted via Mobile Device

Starfish
11-02-2013, 06:48 AM
I've tried three different brands, and Diva was by far the worst/most painful/most difficult to get in right. I also got a Meluna (I think) that I used for a while, but then I decided to trim the stem, since it poked every once in a while, and then I wasn't able to remove it very easily any more. Right now I have a MCUK (Moon Cup - UK trademark...different than the Moon Cup brand sold in the US) and it's my favorite. They have different stem styles. I have a ring stem, but if I got another one, I would probably get a ball stem.

HomeWithMyBabies
11-02-2013, 07:51 AM
I had issues similar to yours before having kids. I got the size 2 after my ds2 was born and have been using it ever since. There is a learning curve.

I cut the stem completely off my diva with no problems. I can tell when it's getting full enough to leak so no issues there, although the second night of AF I need a back up overnight.

JessicaTX
11-02-2013, 09:09 AM
I have a medium meluna after 4 kids, and I'm not a tiny person, I think I just have a shorter than average space to tote a menstrual cup in =D It took me about 3 months to get the hang of it and not need a backup liner. I could never wear a Diva, it was too long and pokey and felt like I'd stuck a rock up there lol

Christore
11-02-2013, 03:19 PM
I know that I'm rather small down there (although I'm a rather tall -6ft- and big framed person). After three kids (one caesarian and two vaginal), I do use the bigger Diva cup, but I have my doubts that that size was the best decision for me. I have never used the smaller one, but if I ever buy another one, I will go for the smaller size, as the large one just bothers me and gives me that feeling of tension and discomfort down there sometimes.

Perhaps it is just as other here say, that Diva cups are just uncomfortable no matter what, due to their design. So perhaps a smaller size wouldn't even change anything comfort-wise for me.

camperjen
11-04-2013, 08:38 PM
I didn't do well with the Diva - I purchased the size 2 before I was preg because I knew I was going to be trying right quick and the 2 is rec for after birth (my son is now 8.5yo, lol).

I never liked it. Used it prior to preg and again after two boys were born and still never liked it.

So I decided to get a fleurcup and wouldn't you know, I love it?! It's softer material, shorter and I don't leak anywhere near as much as I used to with the diva.

So there's my two cents.... oh, and the fleurcup was less money than many other cups.

PaperMomma
11-04-2013, 09:15 PM
I :heart my Meluna.