PDA

View Full Version : Probiotics for baby?

satin.mama
10-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Good afternoon!

So, I discovered in the spring that I'm gluten-intolerant, and I just did an experiment to find out if Bunny's loose poops for the past 3 months or so have been caused by wheat. And the answer is a definite yes. Her poops are fine when she's off wheat, and totally unformed when she eats it. Would you give such a young one a probiotic for a bit, even though she seems fine within a day of stopping gluten, to help gut healing? She is still nursing lots and I take a really good probiotic every second day, so I assume she's getting some via me. ?? Thoughts? The only other probiotic I have in my house is "for kids," but it says to give 2 tablets a day to kids ages 6 and over, so I've been giving 1/2 a tab a day to my 4-year-old. Would you give baby a tiny bit of that, or sprinkle a bit of mine out of the capsule, or ... how would you dose for a 1-year-old (if you didn't have enough money at the moment to go out and buy a special baby probiotic :bag)?

Thanks! :heart

elohcin
10-28-2013, 08:25 PM
If you feel like she's okay with just the diet changes, you would probably be fine without the probiotic, but I will add that the benefits of them are pretty great.

I've given probiotics from birth. I know for a fact my babies have colonization issues (well, I'd venture to say that most babies these days probably do, for various reasons). But we like BioGaia because it comes in infant drops and it's the strain I like. I've done powders in the past, just put them on my nipple, wipe in their mouth, or mix them with some breastmilk.

With tablets, you could always crush them and make a powder IF they are not flavored/sweetened (that would deter me for a young one). If they are I'd use a little powder from your capsules, depending on the strain.

DancingWithElves
10-30-2013, 04:23 PM
I like primadophilus and primal defense babies :)
I love biogaiya (sp?) reuteri drops. They are amazing even for newborns.

bentlaj11
11-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Subbing :)