PDA

View Full Version : More Joint Issues Since Going GF/DF

Close2MyHeart
10-24-2013, 05:33 AM
I'm posting all over the board this morning. :bag I've been meaning to come here and ask this, but I've been busy.

I seems my joints are more weak since going GF/DF. DH put his arm around me last Saturday and did something to my shoulder. Now if I move it in a certain way or try to sleep on that side, I have pain. So much so that I cannot lay on that side at all. This isn't the first time I've noticed my joints seem to have issues since going GF/DF.

Any thoughts? Remedies? And how do I fix my shoulder?! It's the side I *always* sleep on, so I find myself rolling over in the middle of the night and then gasping w/ pain because it hurts too much. :(

DoulaClara
10-24-2013, 05:49 AM
A common mistake some women make when going off gluten and dairy is to rely heavily on grain replacements, and neglect good fats and calorie rich foods. Foods with gluten and dairy typically carry the calorie load for busy mothers especially, and so when you can't just grab a bagel and spread cream cheese on it and then be on the go, it gets trickier to get good foods with good fats and good nutrients. Grabbing a handful of GF pretzels and a few dates and then running for four more hours before eating a piece of fruit and a couple of slices of deli turkey and then running for four more hours doesn't really cut it, know what I mean?

What kind of supplements do you take? Make sure you are getting at least a Vitamin D3, calcium/magnesium, and an omega-3 in there.

Singingmom
10-24-2013, 05:56 AM
:popcorn

I've been GF for almost three years and I've had painful shoulder issues since. Don't know if it's coincidence?

I'm not df...you should probably take a cal/mag/d supplement. Citrical makes one.

Maedchen
10-24-2013, 05:56 AM
Do you have any auto immune issues? Were you in so much pain before changing your diet that you did not notice joint issues? Is it possible you have another food sensitivity?

I have fibro and have a hard time with my joints esp in bed. I have to sleep with about 4 pillows on a tempurpedic bed. My youngest has devoloped Ehler's Danlos. (Though rare, you might want to get some blood work done to rule out arthritis troubles.)

Close2MyHeart
10-24-2013, 06:15 AM
My joints have always been "creaky"... if that makes sense. When I move my knee it crackles and it's always been that way. I haven't had pain until recently, though.

The shoulder thing feels like DH pushed my arm bone down from the socket and then when it popped back in place it didn't go back quick right. I can still use my arm, but certain things really, really hurt my shoulder. :shrug

Maedchen
10-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Glucosomine is supposed to help if you can handle shellfish.

If you do not see that the joint pain is better, you might want to get the blood work to rule out arthritis family of ailments.

I hope you find the solution. Bone pain will make you weary quickly. :hugheart

curlymopmom
10-24-2013, 07:44 AM
:hugheart How long have you been GF/DF?

Close2MyHeart
10-24-2013, 09:33 AM
GF for almost 6 months and DF for about 3 months.

DancingWithElves
10-24-2013, 06:32 PM
ditto what clara said.
and see a physical therapist for the shoulder :pray

ShangriLewis
10-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Maybe another grain is bothering you like rice or corn? You may not have eaten as much prior and now eat it a lot to replace wheat?

WI Mama05
10-25-2013, 06:07 AM
I need a lot of water and good fats to keep the creaky painful joints at bay. IDK, but that's my experience.