PDA

View Full Version : How to erase computer memory?

staceylayne
10-10-2013, 02:50 PM
I have a new-to-me computer (macbook osx) that is all gunked up with DH's old work stuff. He doesn't need any of these files/info anymore...he's transferred everything to his new computer.

How can I erase all this stuff I don't need? I found info on how I can restore to factory settings, but wouldn't that also erase all the applications (some of which I would love to keep, like Word and Excel)? Is there a way to quickly erase all the files and pictures or do I need to do that manually in order to keep what I want?

I'm really a dunce at this stuff so speak slowly and use small words. :) Thank you!!!

BlissfullyEsther
10-10-2013, 03:35 PM
I think your options are reformatting the hard drive (starting from scratch, having to reinstall the programs you want, assuming you still have the discs), or manually erasing all the stuff you don't want. But I'm no expert either, so there may be another option.

Quiteria
10-10-2013, 04:51 PM
You can drag entire folders to the recycle bin, then delete then again there. Also, if you click on the first file in a list, then hold down shift (or was it control? :scratch) while clicking on the last file in the list, that will often allow you to select multiple files at once, sometimes all of the files between the two ends. Then, you can drag the whole batch to the recycle bin.

Hermana Linda
10-10-2013, 04:54 PM
I agree. You would uninstall all his programs which you don't want and delete the files. Or restore to factory specs, which means you'd have to then add the programs you want which he added and remove the ones he removed which came with the computer. I would be careful with that option because Word is not free nor easy to get. I would just delete the files I didn't want.

staceylayne
10-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks, ladies! Looks like I'll spend some time deleting files tonight. :)

Quiteria
10-10-2013, 05:50 PM
When you're done, see if you can defragment the drive...that will help speed it back up after the excess files are gone.

Hermana Linda
10-10-2013, 09:47 PM
When you're done, see if you can defragment the drive...that will help speed it back up after the excess files are gone.
Good idea. :tu That is usually done by right clicking Computer and selecting Tools. :think In Windows 8, you can just hit Start and start typing Defrag.

Leslie
10-14-2013, 10:09 AM
restore to factory specs, which means you'd have to then add the programs you want which he added and remove the ones he removed which came with the computer. I would be careful with that option because Word is not free nor easy to get.

Open Office and Libre Office are free substitutes. More people are using them now that Word no longer comes free with Windows. They can both read and edit Word documents.

I think what you're doing - manually removing files you don't want - is the best option, but if ever it should come up in the future, you can live without Word.