PDA

View Full Version : best/easiest spot remover for clothes

klpmommy
06-26-2013, 07:20 AM
Dh is now wearing dress clothes to work and we want to keep them in good shape. What is a good and easy spot remover? I don't mind doing a bit of scrubbing in, but I don't want to have to make the spot remover everytime i need it, i just want to be able to quickly and easily treat spots before throwing the shirts in the wash.

(second day at work in dress clothes and there was a mishap at lunch with the waiter and marinara sauce. :doh )

Psyche
06-26-2013, 07:21 AM
Oxyclean is my go to.

RiverRock
06-26-2013, 07:24 AM
I spray the specific area with Fantastic, and then put the item to soak in a bucket that had Oxyclean dissolved in water. Occassionally, I need to do a bit of hand scrubbing before putting the item in the washing machine. I know Fantastic isn't meant for clothing, but I have used it for about 15 years without ruining any clothing. Other spot cleaners don't work nearly as well.

Quiteria
06-26-2013, 09:41 AM
look for triple enzyme formulas

NewLeaf
06-26-2013, 09:46 AM
I use oxyclean.

expatmom
06-26-2013, 09:58 AM
I do a squirt of blue Dawn & then sprinkle oxyclean powder on the stain, leave for a couple of hours then throw in the wash. I've had more success with this then soaking in oxyclean.

knitlove
06-26-2013, 11:49 AM
I use stain stick I can treat it when I get some thing on the clothes and just was asnormal in the next week.

RiverRock
06-26-2013, 02:14 PM
I do a squirt of blue Dawn & then sprinkle oxyclean powder on the stain, leave for a couple of hours then throw in the wash. I've had more success with this then soaking in oxyclean.

Have you done this on a variety of fabrics? It sounds a bit easier than my method...and I don't like the smell of Fantastic. :think

expatmom
06-26-2013, 07:33 PM
I do it on everything we wear, but honestly we wear mostly cotton or cotton blends. If left on too long (overnight or longer if I forget about it :bag) it can occasionally bleach out the area so I try to be careful not to leave it more then a couple of hours.

ncsweetpea
06-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Stain Stick is my first favorite.

Blue Dawn is my second.

RiverRock
06-26-2013, 11:00 PM
I do it on everything we wear, but honestly we wear mostly cotton or cotton blends. If left on too long (overnight or longer if I forget about it :bag) it can occasionally bleach out the area so I try to be careful not to leave it more then a couple of hours.

I can forget about the Fantastic for days, and no damage has ever been done. :think However, I think your method might be better for an immediate load.

WingsOfTheMorning
06-26-2013, 11:37 PM
:cup So many of my kids clothes have stains. I've stayed away from Oxyclean bc I'm not always good about getting things in the wash right away.

Quiteria
06-27-2013, 08:12 AM
I use oxyclean in the wash for general disinfecting of odors...stinky armpits, for example. I does well on a lot of stains, too. But it doesn't do much on grease. When I worked at a restaurant, it was a triple enzyme spray that worked best...grease, protein, and I forget the third...tomato-type stains? I think it was Spray & Wash, or Shout. One of them makes a nice stain stick that can be left for days, but the sticks don't always work well with HE washers if you apply them too heavily and wash too cold, etc.

I think the main key is speed...some of the worst toddler stains come out if I get to them same day, but won't come out at all even with oxyclean a couple days later. You my find it beneficial to do a partial load for him on mishap days, or even ask him to throw it in himself, asap.

greendelight
06-27-2013, 11:33 AM
I've been using the OxyClean gel stain stick, and there hasn't been anything it hasn't gotten out. Esp little grease spots. Shout doesn't work for me.