PDA

View Full Version : Can I put an old big crock outside????

Teacher Mom
06-24-2013, 08:58 AM
I have an old crock from my grandpa. Can I put it outside???

It's probably a 15 or 20 gallon. It's big. I have it in my mudroom now, but wanted to know if I could move it outside for summer???

I don't even know what these were ever used for. Do you???

Kiara.I
06-24-2013, 09:00 AM
An earthenware one?
Could have been used for lots of things. Sauerkraut. Could even have been a refrigerator. You put the milk inside it (in bottles) and then keep the crock wet, and it keeps things cool.

Teacher Mom
06-24-2013, 09:11 AM
I don't know a brand name. but it's OLD. It will be in the full sun. I think it's just like ceramic or heck I have no idea what it is made of. I love it for sentimental reasons, but we don't really have a purpose for it. I used to put the bird seed in it and had a board across the top to keep mice out. Will the water go thru like cement or am I going to end up with it holding water??? :think

have no idea what to use this thing for.......might need to go......:think

cornflower
06-24-2013, 09:14 AM
IME, the problem would be with it getting cold and the freeze/thaw cycle cracking it. I have an enormous 30 gallon one I left on my porch for two years (it would get wet from blowing rain), and the winter cold cracked it eventually. However, it already had a hairline crack where it ended up separating. I have a 10 gallon crock on my porch that has been there for 6 or 7 years and it has never cracked.

Lady TS
06-24-2013, 10:33 AM
If it is something you treasure, I would keep it indoors at room temperature. Weather of any sort is likely to cause it to break down and disintegrate.

Teacher Mom
06-24-2013, 11:34 AM
cornflower - I think you have what I have too. It's a big one. Could be 30 gallon for all I know. I'm going to move it outside. It's already in the mudroom which is on an old farmhouse - so it already gets the hot and cold out there!!!

It has a big hairline crack that was there when I got it.

I guess I'm not super attached to the thing :shrug3 If I don't find a purpose for it soon, I'm going to have to get rid of it...... I'm on a big clean and declutter my home. And this and an old belt sewing machine are out there and have to go!!!

cornflower
06-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Someone had made a wooden lid for mine.

I use mine as our kitchen trash can. (It's so big i have to buy the XL black trash bags, cause the L ones are too small!) My DH *hates* it, but I seriously have 3 people who are in line to get it if I ever decide to get rid of it. It is probably the most-commented-on item in our house.

Llee
06-24-2013, 01:58 PM
If you're not attached, put a $10 For Sale sign on in and let it go. ;)

Lady TS
06-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Actually...it might be worth way more than that. Got any antique consignment dealers in your area?

Teacher Mom
06-24-2013, 06:27 PM
yeah, it's too big and heavy for in the house imo, but it was good for holding a 50# bag of sunflower seeds!!!

Kiara.I
06-24-2013, 09:00 PM
And this and an old belt sewing machine are out there and have to go!!!

A belt sewing machine--like with a treadle? Does it WORK????

Teacher Mom
06-24-2013, 09:27 PM
:yes it needs cleaned up, but yeah. It's been in my mudroom for 10 years since we moved to this house.........I just don't have anywhere for it......and I hate parting with it, but........ :nails it's time.......

bec28
06-25-2013, 04:18 AM
Yea, old pottery like that can be worth a lot sometimes. I'd check into that before I just gt rid of it.

Kiara.I
06-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Somebody is going to LOVE you when you get rid of that sewing machine. Seriously.

Llee
06-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Someone named Kiara.I if you gift it to her, will be eternally in love with you. :giggle

Teacher Mom
06-25-2013, 01:40 PM
it is so beat up though....wasn't always like that, but it is now.... Crock pot is outside and it just started STORMING here. Like rolled in from nowhere....so we will see how it does in the rain!!!

But I did manage to get the sewing machine back in the mudroom!! it is pouring BUCKETS now....