mamaKristin
06-23-2013, 10:19 PM
So, when you make a bed, do you put the top sheet:

a) "right side up", as in facing the ceiling
b) "right side down", as in, you climb between the "right sides" of the sheets

or something else.

Annainprogress
06-23-2013, 10:33 PM
I don't use a top sheet unless it's too hot for even a summer duvet, which hasn't happened often in the past 6 years. I just have bottom sheet then duvet. in the days when I did used to use a top sheet, I just put it on however

inesperada
06-23-2013, 10:36 PM
I do it right side up even though I know right side down is technically proper.

cornflower
06-23-2013, 10:41 PM
I do it right side up for solid sheets and with patterned sheets I do it sometimes up, sometimes down. Mostly, I only do it down for guests so that it looks nice when I turn down the bed.

Niphredil
06-23-2013, 10:58 PM
:haha :haha :haha

That's all I have to say about making beds. :shifty

hey mommy
06-23-2013, 11:07 PM
I make it with the 'right side' facing up. But for me, making a bad is just throwing blankets on it right before I go to sleep. I haven't made my bed in a year. :dance :shifty

Oh, X would do 'right side' down because when you pull it up and fold it over the blankets/pillows the 'proper' way, then it would look good. But I refuse to do that.

Mommainrwanda
06-23-2013, 11:27 PM
Right side down :tu I hardly ever turn the bed down, but it has been ingrained in me from childhood to have it ready to turn down if you ever want your bed to look especially nice before going to bed. And, really, sometimes I DO turn it down just before brushing my teeth so I can come back to a fresh looking bed. It is sometimes the neatest part of my day. :heart

I pretty sure I just won the "mostly likely to sound like an 80 year old woman" award :shifty

cindergretta
06-23-2013, 11:49 PM
I was raised "right side down" to look proper when folded over.

I now make it right side up as we don't use it as a sheet, but as a topper. When the kids get crumbs on it and spill stuff on it, we take it off and the fitted sheet under it is still clean. Saves on how often I have to wash sheets... :shifty

MaybeGracie
06-24-2013, 12:08 AM
Right side down, so that it's the correct way when I fold the top edge over.

FindingMyWay
06-24-2013, 12:16 AM
No top sheet here.
Posted via Mobile Device

mummy2boys
06-24-2013, 01:37 AM
Right side down...that way when you fold it over the blankets/doona etc the pattern is up.

My mum made my bed when I was in hospital (:heart love my mum) and she did it the other way :jawdrop. I changed it when she wasn't looking when I got home :hiding OCD much???

melissa5317
06-24-2013, 01:57 AM
Right side down, so it folds down all pretty-like.

I have a fit when I find a sheet right side up and have to fix it. :giggle

mummy2boys
06-24-2013, 02:06 AM
Right side down, so it folds down all pretty-like.

I have a fit when I find a sheet right side up and have to fix it. :giggle

I have FINALLY met my twin :lol:lol

Mother of Sons
06-24-2013, 02:18 AM
Right side up. It's weird to have a pattern facing down. I don't like the looks of a folded over top so I don't do that. i hate top sheets though and rarely use them. Growing up my mom always did the pattern down method. It's like wearing an inside out shirt to me.

Meli
06-24-2013, 04:43 AM
Sheets have a right side?? :jawdrop

This.

Weezie
06-24-2013, 04:51 AM
Um,:hunh:hunh is all I can say.

My sheet is on my bed, covered by the blanket, which is covered by the cat and laundry. That's what it's supposed to be, right?:shifty

Llee
06-24-2013, 04:56 AM
Um,:hunh:hunh is all I can say.

My sheet is on my bed, covered by the blanket, which is covered by the cat and laundry. That's what it's supposed to be, right?:shifty

As long as books are on there, and maybe an extra blanket so I can burrito myself, :shifty I'm all right with that.

MomtoJGJ
06-24-2013, 05:10 AM
My mom did right side down... I never figured out why until I was an adult and she told me "you sleep between the right sides of the sheets"

I do right side up because that just makes sense.... but I also don't fold over the blankets/sheets. I also only truly make it up when I'm making it up for the first time after washing sheets. Otherwise it's pretty much pull them up to throw laundry on it to sort.

MercyInDisguise
06-24-2013, 05:12 AM
Right side down. :yes It's a big point of contention between me and dh. :shifty

Domina
06-24-2013, 05:15 AM
I voted right side down, but...well...I make my bed about once a year. :shifty

For the first 6 years of our marriage, DH was 3rd shift and went to bed just as I was getting up for the day, so there was never any point. Now I'm just totally out of the habit.

MercyInDisguise
06-24-2013, 05:20 AM
Just to clarify, I don't make the bed on a regular basis, but this is how I put the bed together when I put the sheets on after washing them. ;)

twoplustwo
06-24-2013, 05:34 AM
Right side up. I don't fold the top over on any beds. Even the guest bed where there are decorative pillows goes right side up & with no fold down (no other beds have decorative pillows. We used to prior to kids, but that was a step that had to go for my sanity.)

BelovedDaughter
06-24-2013, 05:57 AM
On the rare occasion that the bed actually gets made, the sheets go right side up. I never fold the top sheet over. I just put the fitted sheet on, then pillows, then flat/top sheet, then comforter.

TenderLovingWillow
06-24-2013, 05:58 AM
Right side up. I don't appreciate seeing the right side while sleeping as much as I do while making the bed.. :shifty

Little Forest
06-24-2013, 06:31 AM
Right side down with about a foot at the top folded down, no food in bedrooms, beds tidied every morning and bedlinens get changed once a week.
Posted via Mobile Device

JustMandy
06-24-2013, 06:36 AM

This. I actually never knew that people made beds with the top sheet down. It makes sense. If I ever decide to make a bad, I might do that.

HadassahSukkot
06-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Other:

All of our blankets go inside of a case (like a giant pillow case, but for the blankets) so, I only have to fold a blanket down and even it out in the mornings, or decide to shake them out and lay them flat. I prefer folding them down, so I've started picking double-sided blankets. Example of what I mean is available here (http://www.bonprix.de/kategorie/wohnen-schlafen-bettwaesche/).
I've gotten where I only use a sheet during the EXTREMELY hot weather because I cannot sleep without a blanket.

LadybugSam
06-24-2013, 08:19 AM
it depends on my mood. Usually right side down but sometimes i couldn't care less about the sheet and do it whichever way it falls :giggle

crunchymum
06-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Right side down! Unless for some crazy reason I'm not planning on folding down the sheets/blanket at the top... Then I would do right side up.

I have white sheets now, though, so it doesn't matter. :shrug

Niphredil
06-24-2013, 10:02 AM
This. I actually never knew that people made beds with the top sheet down. It makes sense. If I ever decide to make a bad, I might do that.

I'm all like... top sheet? :scratch I just buy the one fitted, forget the sets. Then again our queen sized bed has two king comforters... so what do I know. :lol

BearyBlessed
06-24-2013, 10:12 AM
We don't use a top sheet. :shifty
We have a king and twin together. They each have a bottom sheet and each person has their own blanket. We started that when Aji was itty bitty so that he wouldn't get smothered in our blankets.

If I was to ever make a bed- like our guest bed for my mom to visit, I would make it with the right side up. I don't care for the look of the top edge turned down.

knitlove
06-24-2013, 10:18 AM
our bed got made a lot more and I was happier sleeping in it when we dritched the top sheet

crunchymum
06-24-2013, 12:58 PM
But how do you keep your comforters cleeeean? Ours get so grungy when we don't have a top sheet! Maybe we should start taking showers at night instead of the morning? :scratch

Llee
06-24-2013, 01:03 PM
We have a black comforter. :shifty No issues that I can *see*.

Pragmatist
06-24-2013, 01:07 PM
My mom taught me to do right side down, but I'm a rebel so I do right side up.

Earthylady
06-24-2013, 01:07 PM
I, honestly, have never heard of making it with the patterned side facing you while in bed. This is new to me!

backtobasicsmum
06-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Top sheets always go right side down. So when you are sleeping, both the fitted and flat sheet are right sides together for you to sleep on. I do that even when my sheets have no pattern. :shifty And yes, I make my bed everyday too. :giggle

knitlove
06-24-2013, 01:56 PM
But how do you keep your comforters cleeeean? Ours get so grungy when we don't have a top sheet! Maybe we should start taking showers at night instead of the morning? :scratch
I wash it :shifty

we have a duvet and I wash the over as often as I do the bottom sheet. I also wash he duvet every three times or so.

Niphredil
06-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Yeah, just wash it once a week, week and a half. :shrug3 Fresh, warm, comfy clean blanket, droooool.

RosalieMarie
06-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Right side down. But the only time I ever make it is when I change the sheets. Which probably isn't often enough. :shifty Jake hates the top sheet. I neeeeeeed it. So half the bed has top sheet, the other doesn't, and we each have our own comforters. :giggle

november
06-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Right side up. I've never seen a bed made with the top sheet facing down!

Meli
06-24-2013, 03:20 PM
even when my sheets have no pattern.

:idea I had literally, up until you said that, wondered how you can tell which is the "right" and the "wrong" side of our sheets. I never thought about sheets with patterns!

IF the sheets have a pattern, and IF I make the bed, I do right side down, so when you fold it back across the blanket, you see the pattern on top.

lucie
06-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I read most of this thread scratching my head, wondering what it all means, "right side up"??? :lol I'm still not quite sure I get it... I don't think I've ever even seen a sheet with patterns that would have a right and wrong side :lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melissa5317
06-25-2013, 02:17 AM
Right side down! Unless for some crazy reason I'm not planning on folding down the sheets/blanket at the top... Then I would do right side up.

I have white sheets now, though, so it doesn't matter. :shrug

It always matters.

Always.

:lol

HadassahSukkot
06-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Not sure if you're asking me or not? :shifty They come off like a pillowcase. It's just like regular sheets, but around a blanket instead of under only. We throw them in the wash, take them out and dry. Throw blankets in next, wash on 95°C and dry in the dryer too. 2 loads done in 3 hours and bedsheets all over again. :shrug3

mommylove
06-25-2013, 04:12 PM
These threads about bedmaking always crack me up; I think about the Seinfeld episode tuck or no tuck. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl3HcIXvIo0)

I am sooo thankful that DH & I agree on the only right way to make a bed. :giggle

Meli
06-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I read most of this thread scratching my head, wondering what it all means, "right side up"??? :lol I'm still not quite sure I get it... I don't think I've ever even seen a sheet with patterns that would have a right and wrong side :lol

My pattern ones are like regular fabric used for any other purpose - the print is on one side, and you can see it on the other side, but it isn't as clear.

lucie
06-25-2013, 11:32 PM
My pattern ones are like regular fabric used for any other purpose - the print is on one side, and you can see it on the other side, but it isn't as clear.

Oh okay, I get it now. :Giggle We've always just bought white, so I probably kind of ignored those in the stores :lol

mummy2boys
06-26-2013, 04:15 AM
These threads about bedmaking always crack me up; I think about the Seinfeld episode tuck or no tuck. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl3HcIXvIo0)

I am sooo thankful that DH & I agree on the only right way to make a bed. :giggle

So you don't want to know that mine are made with hospital corners as well? Every day? :hiding

Tandem mama
06-26-2013, 04:25 AM
I have solved this problem with one easy answer. I don't make the bed. I put a clean fitted sheet on and throw a bunch of blankets on it and we figure it whose is whose when we go to bed. Piles of blankets ;) no bed making :)

amydawn
06-26-2013, 06:50 AM
Depends on the sheet. We have nice cozy fleece ones for the winter and I always do right side down with those so the coziness is next to us. For cotton sheets, I don't care which way they are.

twoplustwo
06-26-2013, 08:25 AM
I would like to disagree this only matters on pattern sheets. Even my solid sheets have a ?hem? ?trim? - that determines which way is up or down. But since I am a right side upper - maybe that doesn't matter as much when you are a folder-downer.

TraceMama
06-26-2013, 09:19 AM
European style duvet covers used here, so no need for a top sheet ;) They sell quite a few at Ikea and I've sewn them myself using 2 otherwise unnecessary top sheets that came in a set :giggle

When I *do* use a sheet, it goes right side down so it folds over pretty :)

mommylove
06-26-2013, 05:25 PM
So you don't want to know that mine are made with hospital corners as well? Every day? :hiding

Why every day? Do they come untucked at night?

I do hospital corners, too, but they stay tucked in until the next time I change the sheets.

melissa5317
06-26-2013, 08:01 PM

I'm just thankful that DH keeps his hands to himself and lets me take care of it! :lol

Not OCD. Not OCD at all...:no

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Hospital corners!! :rockon I think you (ETA - ah, and mommylove) might be the only other person I've spoken to, online or in RL, who knows and uses hospital corners. :heart:heart:heart I actually at one point started to think I just dreamed that they were called that because no one knew what I was on about!

I'm totally giving the wrong impresson of myself here; I actually only feel the need to make the bed absolutely perfectly when I'm changing the sheets. Otherwise it's a mess because bub sleeps in it during the day and it gets crawled on by children, so I don't bother. :lol But when I do make it, I MAKE it. :yes

mummy2boys
06-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Hospital corners!! :rockon I think you (ETA - ah, and mommylove) might be the only other person I've spoken to, online or in RL, who knows and uses hospital corners. :heart:heart:heart I actually at one point started to think I just dreamed that they were called that because no one knew what I was on about!

Well thats 3 of us...and enough to start a revolution I think :P~:P~

I remake the whole bed from scratch each day as I love climbing in between tightly tucked sheets and covers. Yes I have OCD :lol

Elibellamiah
06-26-2013, 08:47 PM
I always put the top sheet up (I only make the bed when I change the sheets though) I never knew people put the top sheet down. However, this total explains why the print is upside down across the top edge of my kid's Sesame Street sheets. That always would annoy me.

mummy2boys
06-27-2013, 06:25 PM
I would like to disagree this only matters on pattern sheets. Even my solid sheets have a ?hem? ?trim? - that determines which way is up or down. But since I am a right side upper - maybe that doesn't matter as much when you are a folder-downer.

Yes all my sheets have a hem to indicate which side is up or down

MarynMunchkins
12-09-2013, 04:49 AM
Right side down, and I can feel the difference when it's backwards. :shifty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

peekaboomama
12-09-2013, 08:27 AM
I've never looked closely enough to know which is right side and wrong side... they're just solid colors.

kwisie
12-09-2013, 08:56 AM
I'm a right-side-upper. But then, the only time the bed is "made" is when I occasionally yank everything up by the pillows.

The top sheet is a bone of contention between me and DH. He doesn't like one, but I need one. This was perfectly fine for the first seven or so years of marriage, but it has become an issue again. If he's in bed by himself, he kicks the top sheet down to the end of the bed, making a yucky wad that I then have to pull up and straighten out before I can sleep. It's very annoying. :snooty

MariekeSings
12-09-2013, 11:26 AM
I do it right side down, mainly because it's the softer side of our sheets :shifty but partly because it is the "correct" way and I'm slightly OCD. DH couldn't care less however (he wold be happy without a top sheet at all).

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

The top sheet is a bone of contention between me and DH. He doesn't like one, but I need one. This was perfectly fine for the first seven or so years of marriage, but it has become an issue again. If he's in bed by himself, he kicks the top sheet down to the end of the bed, making a yucky wad that I then have to pull up and straighten out before I can sleep. It's very annoying. :snooty

I'm usually the first one in bed, and DH is always complaining about how high up I've pulled the top sheet. :shifty

ValiantJoy07
12-09-2013, 11:43 AM
My sheets are reversable :shifty