PDA

View Full Version : Walk me step by step through this

Tandem mama
06-22-2013, 06:56 AM
I've decided as part of our summer curriculum, I'm going to teach the girls to do some chores. Currently, they pick up their toys, put their dirty dishes on the counter after eating, help daddy make meals, help mop, and dust. It's pretty good. But, I want to teach them to help with laundry and cleaning the bathroom etc. I'd like to have at least sunshine doing a few chores daily and independently by the time the summer ends. I try to start the day with my daily chores and I'd like her to come alongside and do some with me. I think this will be useful in giving her jobs after baby is here so she's helping (she loves helping) and it'll lighten the load on dh who will be working, going to school, and taking care of me pp. Cuppycake is still in need of help, but I want her to become accustomed to helping too.

Should I pick one chore to start teaching her to do alone that is her chore and when she's mastered it work on another?
Should I just have her come alongside with everything so she learns a little of everything?

I'm thinking I'd like to start with laundry. If she can independently wash and bring the laundry to me pp, I can fold it just fine while in bed (and can have cuppycake help with the folding too). Is that expecting too much of a 5.5 year old (she will be six when baby is born-or weeks away from six)? I don't know what is reasonable to expect her to do? We use soap nuts that I have in lots of little baggies that just get thrown into the washer. It is quite simple, really. Throw it in, throw clothes in, turn it on. I'd walk her through it several times and teach her how much clothing to put in at once. Maybe I'll even fill the laundry basket for her with a proper amount so it doesn't get overloaded. :think

I'm just really not sure what's age appropriate RE chores and how to teach her to do them. Would you start with laundry? It'd be the most helpful for me but maybe it's not the right chore for her?

Earthmummy07
06-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Ds is newly 6 and is responsible for his own Laundry. It took a few rounds of help to get the 'light and darks' thing, and what settings to use but now he can do it independantly. He can also clean the sink and can do the toilet but I get a bit anxious about that. He can hoover moderately well. He has a few things that are his responsibility and he also comes alongside for what ever needs to be done.

Tandem mama
06-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Our vacuum is taller than sunshine but she tries. So, her arms are too short, even with a stool, to get all the clothes out of the washer. But we are working on other parts of laundry with her and she did well!

Little Forest
06-22-2013, 02:53 PM
It is worth a try for the laundry. I think you can have her work along side you for other things too, not just one thing at a time, and see how she goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tandem mama
06-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Yeah,I was thinking alongside for others but pick one to teach her to do independently.