PDA

View Full Version : Stinky soccer cleats

expatmom
06-15-2013, 07:21 PM
2 weeks ago dd & ds got new soccer cleats. 1 week ago it started to rain and rain. Their soccer cleats got very wet and never got a chance to fully dry between practices & games. Now they are very very smelly. Like I won't let them take them off in the car until we get home or I might drive off the road from the horrible rancid stink. :sick Airing them out isn't helping.

I have a sock full of kitty litter sitting in each shoe tonight hoping that helps. Any other ideas for how to cut the stink?

The Tickle Momster
06-16-2013, 04:17 PM
I saw a recommendation to use black tea bags similar to how you are doing the kitty litter.

Proverbs31
06-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Bac-out?

cindergretta
06-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Baking soda

Dryer sheets

Sport supply stores sell these little balls you put in their soccer bag to cut the stink. I wonder if you could get one of the balls and put the shoes in the soccer bag with the ball? :think

eta -

http://www.socceramerican.com/bagball-bag-deodorizer/10927/CurrentPage/1#.Ub5Jv5WTXFI

Sundance
06-16-2013, 04:59 PM
I was going to suggest baking soda, too. But when I was playing soccer and hockey, I just kinda learned to live with the stink...sports equipment stinks! :shrug3

mummy2boys
06-18-2013, 02:52 AM
I will also second the baking soda (or is it "thirding" :giggle)

expatmom
06-18-2013, 07:02 AM
Doesn't the baking soda get all gloopy in the shoes? I didn't want to sprinkle it in because they are so wet too.

I've got socks filled with kitty litter in them now & that seems to be cutting down the stink a bit.

Sundance
06-18-2013, 11:35 AM
If they're that wet, can you totally unlace them, take the insoles out & set them out to dry?? The shouldn't get too bad...

We found my cleats in the basement yesterday, and DH said to DD "smell those" (they haven't been worn in 4 years!)....she stuck her nose in and went "eeeewwwww"....so I guess the smell lingers, haha!

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

oops, I'd abbreviated "baking soda" and the censor didn't like that....

jame06
06-18-2013, 12:23 PM
If my kids got soaking wet like that I washed them in the machine! Then totally let them air dry before wearing again. It helped cut the smell out mostly. Of course shoes that are sweat in like that over and over just smell :crazy2 after awhile.