PDA

View Full Version : Stinky golf shirt

peekaboomama
06-14-2013, 03:02 PM
My DH sweats like crazy. His favorite golf shirt smells terrible and I'm not sure how to fix it. It's 100% polyester. I put vinegar in the wash (my typical go-to) but if anything it made it worse. Suggestions?

Sundance
06-14-2013, 03:08 PM
:popcorn

We have some sports clothes that are "technical" fabric, and I can.not.get.the.smell.out!

Some, even were left to sit in a drawer for several years (I wasn't doing much athletic stuff, with so many pregnancies and newborns). They still don't smell better, and that tells me they probably won't.

peekaboomama
06-14-2013, 03:11 PM
:popcorn

We have some sports clothes that are "technical" fabric, and I can.not.get.the.smell.out!

Some, even were left to sit in a drawer for several years (I wasn't doing much athletic stuff, with so many pregnancies and newborns). They still don't smell better, and that tells me they probably won't.

Ugh that's not encouraging... I'm going to be encouraging him away from technical fabrics because he just works out so hard and they get so nasty...

Sundance
06-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I really don't get what the draw is to technical fabrics for athletic activities.....

Soliloquy
06-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Try some Bac-Out. Spray it on heavily and let it sit overnight. You could also try Sport Wash.

You could also see if he'll switch to no anti-perspirant and use something like coconut oil instead. Anti-perspirant builds up in the fabric and can lock in the stink.

Sent from my Droid Razr via Tapatalk 2 via Swype

Soliloquy
06-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I really don't get what the draw is to technical fabrics for athletic activities.....

They don't absorb sweat the way cotton does, they dry quickly. Wearing cotton is awful for working out. You wind up in soaking wet clothes that chafe and give you a rash. Wool is great for winter sports (but not summer sports).

Sundance
06-15-2013, 05:25 AM
They don't absorb sweat the way cotton does, they dry quickly. Wearing cotton is awful for working out. You wind up in soaking wet clothes that chafe and give you a rash. Wool is great for winter sports (but not summer sports).

But they feel soooo gross! I grew up on a farm, so have spent a lot of time in sweaty clothes....but I couldn't imagine doing hay in something other than cotton!! But maybe it's just me and my sensory issues. So, those fabrics don't feel yucky to most people?

Soliloquy
06-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Modern sport fabric is different than the polyester I grew up with. Running or some other sweaty sport-- I would not chose cotton if I could help it. Definitely not cotton socks. For skiing I wear a wool blend.

Sundance
06-16-2013, 06:05 AM
See, I even used to run in cotton socks, I could not stand "running socks" they were all slippery and weird. Mind you, I only ran 10k, so chaffing wasn't a problem, maybe if I'd started running further, I`d have gotten into them, or maybe wool...

peekaboomama
06-16-2013, 06:17 AM
Try some Bac-Out. Spray it on heavily and let it sit overnight. You could also try Sport Wash.

You could also see if he'll switch to no anti-perspirant and use something like coconut oil instead. Anti-perspirant builds up in the fabric and can lock in the stink.

No anti-perspirant isn't going to happen here yet. We're slowly but surely moving more "crunchy" but that's a bridge I know he won't cross now.

I'll pick up some bac-out or sport wash today. It can't hurt to try!

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

Modern sport fabric is different than the polyester I grew up with. Running or some other sweaty sport-- I would not chose cotton if I could help it. Definitely not cotton socks. For skiing I wear a wool blend.

I like cotton for some things and tech for others, but I don't get nasty the way he does. I do :heart wool though; we did some reenacting and I was pleasantly surprised at how well wool breathes.