PDA

View Full Version : Help me set everyone up for organized success!

ncsweetpea
06-09-2013, 07:28 PM
We are moving to a new home in a few weeks. As I unpack, I want to organize things in a way that makes sense not only to me, but also to the family.

There won't be an "extra" space for toys. Both kids will need to keep toys in their bedrooms. Where should I place toys that both kids use? Some examples of these are wooden blocks, Rody, baby stroller, and play kitchen. These currently reside in the living room or the bonus room.

Also, I need to organize towels in a way that makes sense to my dh. In the past I have color coded towels to bathrooms. Adults have all tan colored washcloths, hand towels and bath towels (with the exception of two green bath sheets.) Kids have light purple towel sets or hooded animal towels. Kitchen has brick red towels and dishcloths. Utility cloths are bright purple microfiber cloths. When my husband helps with laundry, I lose the washcloths and handtowels. For some reason he puts them with the cookbooks. Last summer I lost them for three months. I looked everywhere. He put them with the light bulbs in the laundry room. I have explained the color code to him, but it doesn't seem to stick. I have not changed the location of the towels for about ten years. I really don't know what else to try. Any ideas?

And that brings me to kitchen cupboards. We won't have a pantry, but we will have lots of cabinets. How do I organize them in such a way that he and the children can be successful in learning the new places for things? We have had many conversations over the years about putting dishes in their proper places so they are there when I'm moving quickly in the kitchen. It irritates me to have to go looking for something I need. I have a basket for measuring cups and have for ten years...and I still find measuring cups with the coffee cups. :doh And the kids are picking up on this. Dd gets frustrated because things aren't where they are supposed to be when she's helping in the kitchen. Ds opens a cabinet and just puts something there because there is an empty space. I want everyone to be able to contribute to family life in the kitchen...but I need it organized so I can be more efficient in there. Ideas??

Kiara.I
06-09-2013, 07:33 PM
There won't be an "extra" space for toys. Both kids will need to keep toys in their bedrooms. Where should I place toys that both kids use? Some examples of these are wooden blocks, Rody, baby stroller, and play kitchen. These currently reside in the living room or the bonus room.

Am I hearing that right as in bedroomS for the kids? Would it be worth it to have a "bedroom" and a "playroom"?

Otherwise, I guess, which bedroom is occupied by extraverts? Put the toys in there, and leave the introvert's bedroom alone?

ncsweetpea
06-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Yes, one bedroom for each child. They are not at great ages for combining them into one room right now.

MegMarch
06-09-2013, 07:38 PM
For cupboard space can you put things in where you like them, take a photo of the cupboard and hang a print out in the cupboard door?

For towels, if you don't worry about aesthetics, you could just label them with a K for Kitchen and so forth.

For toys, I like the idea of putting them in the extrovert's room. If that doesn't work after a few weeks, try something else. I'm kind of big on just having less so maybe if that doesn't work, just don't have those shared toys anymore?

ncsweetpea
06-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Good idea on labeling shelves with a photo!

ncsweetpea
06-10-2013, 09:37 AM
How would it work if towels had a colored basket to match towel color/room?

Now I need to figure out if the boy is an introvert or extrovert.