PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain from vitamins?

joyinthejourney
06-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Has anyone experienced weight gain from taking mutl vitamins?

Llee
06-07-2013, 06:42 PM
:bump

shekinah
06-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Hmm... did you make any other health changes around the same time? Like with your diet?

cindergretta
06-07-2013, 11:32 PM
The vitamins themselves would not make you gain weight. :think But depending on the formulation, maybe there is something *in* them that is increasing your hunger?

(I am on a med that doesn't cause weight gain, per se, but it leaves you hungry ALL the time. My stomach is constantly growling, even in the middle of the night. :sigh It is driving me batty and making me slightly depressed... :shifty )

mommylove
06-08-2013, 01:27 AM
Good question.

If weight loss is a result of malnutrition, it stands to reason that proper nourishment will lead to weight gain. That said, I am skeptical of the absorbability of non- whole food vitamins, so personally, I doubt that the added nutrition will add to weight gain. Nor are most 1st world occupants probably that bad off in the first place. I think it is more likely a reaction to a filler or other part of the supplement.

emerald
06-09-2013, 10:17 AM
They could be making you constipated.

ArmsOfLove
06-09-2013, 10:48 AM
I have experienced this in two ways - I was B6 deficient and adding it into my supplements caused me to start having hunger, eating, and initially gaining weight. Also, if vitamins have corn or something else I'm allergic to then I will get constipated and gain weight.

It could be a good thing, but I hope you figure it out :hug :pray4

HomeWithMyBabies
06-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Is there iron in it? That's a constipation trigger for some people.

joyinthejourney
06-11-2013, 05:09 PM
No constipation, but I began taking a regular Women's Multi-Vitamin (as opposed to a pre-natal, which I stopped taking when dd weaned), Red Rice Yeast (a natural statin to lower hereditary cholesterol), and B12, about 6 mos ago. I had already climbed from size 6 to size 8, which didn't bother me (although, it shows easily, bc I'm short). But, after beginning these supplements, I quickly gained up to a size 12. Don't own a scale, so I don't know how many pounds I've gained. My guess is 10-15lbs in 6-7 months. I have a check-up soon. Don't have symptoms for thyroid issues, and actually feel better than I have in years. I eat a little less, bc I'm no longer nursing.

Update: So, about a week ago, I stopped taking everything. I'm less hungry. :scratch I hope this gets my weight off.

I wonder if taking a statin can alter my metabolism. My good cholesterol was outstandingly excellent at last year's check-up, but my bad cholesterol was also high. Since I wasn't overweight, and eat mostly organic, whole foods, Dr said it was most likely hereditary. But, I held off taking anything until after dd weaned 7 months ago, and then took Red Rice Yeast, instead of Lipitor. I know it's controversial whether or not high cholesterol in an otherwise healthy person is really a problem at all. Idk. I'll be discussing everything at my upcoming appt.