PDA

View Full Version : First Canning Session of the Season

kklibrarian
05-31-2013, 07:08 AM
Dewberry jelly. :yum

It will probably all go to teacher gifts, but there are more berries ripening out there as we speak for us. :woohoo

Blessings,
Kelly

cbmk4
05-31-2013, 07:13 AM
I love to do home canning. I have done tomatoes and jams in the past. Not sure what I will do this year.

kklibrarian
05-31-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm planning pickles, salsas, and a variety of jellies and preserves this year. I've never made pickles before. I hope it turns out well.

ArmsOfLove
05-31-2013, 08:15 AM
How wonderful! I need to get ready for canning when stuff goes on sale . . .

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

I'm planning pickles, salsas, and a variety of jellies and preserves this year. I've never made pickles before. I hope it turns out well.

just make sure to read/follow the directions for making them crisp. I didn't find that until I was done and mine are tasty, but don't have that crisp I prefer :)

Punkie
05-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Awesome!!!

So far we've done strawberry preserves and orange marmalade (we had so many oranges in our yard this year!)

kklibrarian
06-11-2013, 11:40 AM
I made five more jars of blackberry jelly. Between my garden and the grocery, I'm getting the stuff together for a big batch of salsa. I'm hoping to use lime juice or lemon juice instead of vinegar to heighten the acidity and pressure cooking to be safe. :yum

Sundance
06-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Man, I can't believe y'all have stuff in season to can already!!

I always do a bit of canning every year, but want to do more. This year, our garden is smaller and less labour intensive, so I am hoping to have more time to can (and since we're just gardening for us instead of a few families, we should still have plenty of produce).

Mother of Sons
06-11-2013, 01:34 PM
I canned for the first time this year. I canned lemonade syrup and grapefruit jam. The jam never really set but I told the kids it was grapefruit syrup and LOVES it over pancakes so I'm going to make more and make it fail on purpose this time lol.

abh5e8
06-11-2013, 01:41 PM
we canned starwberry jam last week...it was so good! (already ate 1 jar of it.). going tomorrow to pick more strawberries.

planning this year to can apple sauce, salsa, tomato sauce and maybe green beans.

i would LOVE a good salsa recipe...anyone have one?