PDA

View Full Version : Stinky washer?

Glitterfish
05-17-2013, 06:47 AM
My washer smells like moldy, mildewy poop :blush As long as I take the clothes out pretty soon after the cycle finishes, the clothes smell fine. But the washer stinks up the mudroom!

I've tried bleach (running a cycle w/ no clothes, just bleach water, and letting it soak overnight).

Sundance
05-17-2013, 06:51 AM
Do you have a front loader?

If you have a top loader, there may be something stuck under the agitator (like a sock) that is rotting & trapping debris.

Also, your drum might be full of crud. We have a repairman locally who will come, take it apart & totally scour the drum (there is the drum & the basket sits inside of it--the basket is what you see & put your clothes in). The drum may not totally always drain, leaving stagnant water in it as well as stuff from washing.

Glitterfish
05-17-2013, 06:54 AM
Top loader. I wonder if we could do that ourselves :think

Sundance
05-17-2013, 07:03 AM
Probably. DH took our agitator out to check under it just last week, and that was no big deal.

I know that to take it totally apart, you need to remove the shell from the rest of the machine & then go from there. I am sure a handy DH could do it, but I was also surprised at how tricky it was (we had ours repaired last year, and DH wasn't home. I'm sure if he'd have seen, it would have been a breeze, but alas, I can not remember how it all went!).

Maybe youtube?

blessedwithboys
05-17-2013, 07:22 AM
Ours was stinky a couple of months ago. We tried bleach, vinegar, and hot water rinses (followed direction I found online). None of it worked. I didn't think that the commercial Tide washing machine cleaner would work, but I bought it out of desperation. It WORKED! It's been quite a while and it's stayed smelling good, so I think it truly took care of the issue.

It is pretty strongly detergent scented- I think it took a couple of days for the scent to go away. We aren't sensitive to that, so it was fine. I do wonder why they don't make an unscented version. It clearly worked and didn't just cover the yucky smell with scent, so I would think an unscented version would be possible.