PDA

View Full Version : Poll for those of you who've painted rooms before...

Quiteria
05-04-2013, 05:58 PM
We're trying to tackle painting everything...the entire interior of our home. We've never done this before.

The can of primer says to wash the walls first.

Um, that's a lot of work.

Should I...

Really wash and rinse the entire house?
Take a quick swipe at the worst areas?
Figure that a layer of primer and a layer of paint will be good enough, like just dust with a swiffer and get started?

Please answer from experience. Tell me your horror or success stories. :heart

cbmk4
05-04-2013, 05:59 PM
I have always washed away obvious dirt or cobwebs, and that was sufficient. I guess if your house was very dusty, greasy or sooty or something, washing the walls would be crucial. Otherwise, feel free to skip it.

Quiteria
05-04-2013, 06:00 PM
We're trying to tackle painting everything...the entire interior of our home. We've never done this before.

The can of primer says to wash the walls first.

Um, that's a lot of work.

Should I...

Really wash and rinse the entire house?
Take a quick swipe at the worst areas?
Figure that a layer of primer and a layer of paint will be good enough, like just dust with a swiffer and get started?

Please answer from experience. Tell me your horror or success stories. :heart

Little Forest
05-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Wall prep is very important IMO. Professional painter just sand the entire surface with a sander on a pole and are very quick at it. They don't care about the dust it creates in your house. :lol

When I paint, I use a "sugar soap" solution (no sugar in it, don't worry) and rinse after. A bit of work, yes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quiteria
05-04-2013, 06:07 PM
:scratch What do you mean "sugar soap"?

kwisie
05-04-2013, 06:12 PM
I just got the paint that already had primer mixed in, got the cobwebs out of the way and started painting. I didn't even look to see if there were instructions on the paint can. :no It went on fine, haven't seen any issues so far. :shrug3

LoveIsGentle
05-04-2013, 06:14 PM
We did paint with primer and I just ran a damp cloth over the walls first. I didn't work too hard at it. No problems here.

Starfox
05-04-2013, 06:14 PM
We wipe down the walls with water and a rag. Good enough!

Radosny Matka
05-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Wash the walls? :haha. I think not! I just get rid of cobwebs, obvious dust and then go to town.

november
05-04-2013, 06:16 PM
I've never washed the walls unless there was obvious dirt....like, on the trim, lol. Definitely have to dust those well before painting. But yeah, I just use the paint/primer combo and it works great, no wall scrubbing needed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Mother of Sons
05-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Dh used to be a painter. He says wash the walls in your kitchen and bathroom. The other rooms are probably ok unless they are dirty. He said they used to use a pole sander.

WingsOfTheMorning
05-04-2013, 06:30 PM
I only wash obvious dirt, cobwebs, or other marks. If you're painting the kitchen, I'd wash well in there because of grease and food. In fact, in a kitchen, you may need to prime with Kilz because grease spots will show through (or at least use Kilz around the stove area if that needs to be painted.

I've used the paint with primer in it, and I wasn't super impressed honestly. I used a light paint over another light neutral and the coverage wasn't as good as I would have liked. I think in the future I would only use it if I were putting a darker color over a lighter one.

Baseboards accumulate a lot of dust, so you'll want to clean those.

Do you know to fill any holes in the wall with spackling first?

Cookie Momster
05-04-2013, 06:36 PM
I've just removed any obvious debris (cobwebs, etc.) and then used good paint with primer. No problems!

Tandem mama
05-04-2013, 06:41 PM
We purchased a house from people who smoked (which we didn't know til after the fact). We washed all the walls because of that. We only painted one room at that time. When we painted the living room I dusted and cleaned dirty spots

abh5e8
05-04-2013, 06:42 PM
we do wash, but first cover any holes/imperfections with spakle and let dry. then do a quick sanding and wipe with a wet rag (mostly to get the dust off). then prime and paint. it is a lot of work, but i really hate to spend all the time (and money!) to paint and have lots of holes or big imperfections in the walls. i like them smooth :)

Domina
05-04-2013, 06:49 PM
I buy the paint/primer combo and just start painting. I'll wipe off obvious dirt when/if I get to it. Never had any problems. Paint job always looks great. It's buying good quality paint that makes all the difference.

Jeanette598
05-04-2013, 07:52 PM
I just wipe obvious dirt/cobwebs and it's been fine. :yes I also LOVE the paint with primer included. It has covered really well for us and cut down on the number of coats we've had to do. (It almost always covers really well in one coat. :tu)

The only place we ever had a problem was in the bathroom. As the primer was drying, these huge bubbles developed! We popped them and they flattened out okay, but it was weird. I went to the paint store and asked about it, and the guy told me that paint can do funny things in a bathroom because of mineral deposits on the walls from all the water/steam. He recommended washing walls just in the bathroom for that reason. :)

WingsOfTheMorning
05-04-2013, 08:45 PM
We purchased a house from people who smoked (which we didn't know til after the fact). We washed all the walls because of that. We only painted one room at that time. When we painted the living room I dusted and cleaned dirty spots

We did that too. It was so bad we had to wash and paint every surface, including ceilings. :shiver

A product I really like is high hiding primer. I had to paint over dark red, gray, and black once, and one coat of that primer and one coat of paint is all it took. :rockon

Little Forest
05-04-2013, 11:38 PM
:scratch What do you mean "sugar soap"?

http://www.selleys.com.au/diy-painting/cleaning-surfaces/sugar-soap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_soap

Apparently, not an American thing so never mind! :D

FaithHopeLove
05-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Dh used to be a painter. He says wash the walls in your kitchen and bathroom. The other rooms are probably ok unless they are dirty. He said they used to use a pole sander.

:yes

Back in the day it was advised to wash with a TSP solution first, and my best guess is because paint was formulated differently then. I've been painting the entire interior of my house, and I'll be washing my bathroom, but my kitchen walls are far from the stove and don't seem greasy so I'll skip them.

I had to use primer and then paint though, and several coats to cover because the previous tenants painted such dark colors. Any time we knick the wall, you see a dark spot that looks like someone swiped a booger on the wall or something! :-/ So different having a dark color show through.

klpmommy
05-05-2013, 05:39 AM
we've never washed the walls first. We also don't buy primer, we buy behr ultra which has the primer mixed in.

---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

Also- we've always had textured walls, so sanding them first would not make sense in our case. :shrug

Little Forest
05-05-2013, 06:09 AM
Yes, I remember those textured walls with the funny little bumps! And I have to say, the funniest textured ceilings back home too. Walls and ceilings are nice and smooth in Australia.
Posted via Mobile Device

WingsOfTheMorning
05-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Those of you using paint with primer mixed in--are you finding that you only need one coat?

OneLove
05-05-2013, 07:57 AM
We did a damp rag wow down as well. It was pretty quick and I felt it read better safe than sorry.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

MarynMunchkins
05-05-2013, 10:30 AM
I think part of it depends on what you're painting over. Washing walls already painted with flat paint isn't going to really accomplish anything. :lol I always vacuum along the ceiling and baseboards, clean any obvious dirt, patch and sand holes and then paint.

I just did *all* of Bradley's house, including trim. Painting over old flat paint took 2-3 coats, even with paint with primer in it.

WingsOfTheMorning
05-05-2013, 04:00 PM
That's why I would recommend using primer. Primer is cheaper than paint. Even high-hiding primer is cheaper and will cover dark colors with one coat of primer.

mountainash
05-05-2013, 04:43 PM
I go over the walls with a schmop soaked in vinegar water.

twoplustwo
05-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Other. We do the wipe down with a damp/wet rag of water only.

Earthylady
05-05-2013, 06:25 PM
No washing, but we do tape around floor boards and ceilings and take off light switches.

Fallin2Grace
05-05-2013, 07:14 PM
I always fish out the spider webs first. I use a hot rag to rinse off any obvious fingerprint and stains. If I have trouble I get my Mr Clean eraser and that does the trick. I've never washed entire walls before ... Too lazy for that lol
But so far we've done the majority of our interior home and havnt had issues. The biggest problem we have had is when some pieces of the paint roller or pieces of the 'hair' from a paint brush fall off whilst painting. But that's not exactly preventable. Maybe a better quality brush and roll? But I'm cheap haha so I just keep a warm soapy rag on hand so if something like that happens I c an wash it off right away and then reprint over it immediately.

klpmommy
05-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Those of you using paint with primer mixed in--are you finding that you only need one coat?

we have only needed one coat. Most of the time we are painting over a lighter color. The one time we painted over a dark color we bought separate primer.

FaithHopeLove
05-05-2013, 11:45 PM

I buy paint with primer in it and still had to use primer as it didn't cover what was underneath.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

(Painting over dark colors similar to what klpmommy just posted.)

Rabbit
05-06-2013, 12:15 AM
We've always lived in older houses, where the walls have multiple coats of paint.

Wash all the grease off your walls before you paint. It may take multiple years, and a few more paintings, but it eventually becomes a nightmare. The paint won't stay adhered and smooth. At a minimum, scrub the trim around the doors, the doors, and a two foot diameter around the light switches. Every time a hand touches the wall, it leaves oil behind. It has to come off if you want trouble free walls for decades.

twoplustwo
05-06-2013, 04:27 AM
Maybe a better quality brush and roll?

:yes It would.

My dh only will use the higher quality brush & I've never had a brush hair come out while painting. We've never had roller bits fall off either, he doesn't seem as passionate about the rollers as he does the brush, but maybe we just don't get the cheapest.

ozmummy
05-06-2013, 04:39 AM
I wash. Because it has been years and years since this house has been painted (or had the walls washed)

Fallin2Grace
05-06-2013, 05:58 AM
:yes It would.

My dh only will use the higher quality brush & I've never had a brush hair come out while painting. We've never had roller bits fall off either, he doesn't seem as passionate about the rollers as he does the brush, but maybe we just don't get the cheapest.

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind when we paint DDs room

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

I buy paint with primer in it and still had to use primer as it didn't cover what was underneath.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

(Painting over dark colors similar to what klpmommy just posted.)

I've been personally debating about using paint w the primer but my mom scared me off. She said every time she has used that type that it didn't work and still ended up havingn to use primer, seperarlty

klpmommy
05-06-2013, 06:01 AM
good tools & prep work are very important when painting. Tape everything so that you don't get paint on trim, etc.

DH has one very good brush that he uses on edges, etc.

Get the right kind of roller. They make different ones for different types of paint and walls (ie, my textured walls take a different roller than a flat wall).

Fallin2Grace
05-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Oh yes. Tapping.
I love the frog tape!

How do u know if the tools are higher quality? price?

MarynMunchkins
05-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Frog tape is the best! :tu

And Purdy brushes. :rockon They're well worth the money.

Six Little Feet
05-06-2013, 07:27 AM
I for sure wash the walls with TSP (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/trisodium-phosphate-powder-400-g/912197) and it reallt makes a difference IMO. I know becasue DH painted a room without washing the walls-she just spot washed and you could see!!

Elora
05-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Wash with TSP or something similar. We rented older places with multiple coats of paint and it becomes EXTREMELY obvious when it hasn't been done the right way in the past.

twoplustwo
05-06-2013, 10:39 AM
And Purdy brushes. :rockon They're well worth the money.

:yes That's the brand dh buys as well.

Plus he says that they clean better & last longer - so in the long run we don't spend that much more.

Drew
05-06-2013, 11:02 AM

I really don't like Behr paint but tried their paint with primer when we were repainting my husband's office because it was a medium dark color. I hated it. All the thick goopiness of Behr and the coverage wasn't any better. I will use a separate primer and better paint in the future.

ETA- Use wool covers for your rollers. They rule.

klpmommy
05-06-2013, 01:04 PM
You can reuse a roller within a few days of the first use. Just wrap it tightly in plastic bags and tape sealed.

Clean brushes thouroughly. DH has one brush that he bought in MI that has been used to paint many, many rooms. It is still in excellent shape b/c he cleans it so well each use. He doesn't use chemicals, just lots of running water.

Quiteria
05-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Tried sanding a really rough-textured room today. Now it doesn't eat the sponge. :tu

Tried the TSP on both a glossy room and a flat room. Did a great job of deglossing and getting crayon off the semi-gloss. :rockon Not sure it got the grease off the flat paint. Wow did the flat paint ever absorb a ton of water! :-/

Only small downside...my arms are going to fall off, and I still have over half the house to go, ad I haven't even rinsed any of that. Whew.

crunchymum
05-08-2013, 07:34 AM
:hug painting a whole house is a lot of work! I think you're on the right track. For an old house I would definitely wash and use primer (I'm not a fan of the combo stuff, and primer is cheaper). We used Dutch Boy washable paint on our whole house, and I really liked it. I normally hate Behr, but they have a new "flat enamel" that I'm impressed with - hides stuff like flat paint, but it's durable and washable like enamel.

I wish I could come help you! Such a big job! My advice would be to figure out how to edge without tape. It's so much faster, and with a little practice, just as good or better. For taping off trim, I saw a trick where you tape it off, then put a layer of the *trim* color down. This "seals" the tape so that the wall color doesn't bleed through.

ozmummy
05-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Yeah.it's huge.painting my house is like my five year plan.....

Sent from my LT26w using Tapatalk 2

CJNeeley
05-08-2013, 07:30 PM
We 'wash' with vinegar water and either a sponge mop or a paint roller head (double washing in the kitchen to be sure we lose the grease). It helped the paint go on smoother/more even, but we didn't necessarily live anywhere long enough to know how/if it affected longevity. We'd still rate it worth it though.

Teacher Mom
05-09-2013, 12:30 PM
and kimberly forgot to mention to make sure that you see the store staff hammer the lid of the paint can down TIGHTLY before leaving the store.

:shifty:shifty:shifty:shifty:shifty:shifty

I have never forgotten that story!!!

klpmommy
05-09-2013, 12:48 PM
yeah, I still have those pics on photobucket if anyone needs the reminder. :shifty

ozmummy
05-09-2013, 10:47 PM
link... I missed that story!

ALSO make sure to check the mixed colour with the paint chip. I selected a paint chip that had two colours, a lighter blue and a darker one. I wanted the lighter blue. The guy scanned the code and mixed it according to the directions the computer gave him. When I got home and started painting I thought, Wow, this colour is more intense than I expected...but that's ok, I like intense.

Then after I had done like 1/3 of the room, I checked it against the paint chip. It was the DARKER blue.

So I took it back to the shop, the guy scanned the code again. It turned out that the colours had their codes around the wrong way. The bar code on the light blue gave the mix for the dark blue and vice versa. They realised it was the computer program's fault and mixed me a new batch.

So CHECK your paint before they put the lid on...

Quiteria
05-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Cue panic:

I CAN'T GET THE DETERGENT RINSED OFF!!!!!

It's the TSP stuff, mixed as per directions, and there are bubbles on the wall as I swipe with a fresh rinse rag and clean water. Over and over.

What have I done???

SewingGreenMama
05-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Ive watched and helped paint 3 houses, one if the 3 times over 11 years. And I've partially painted one solo and am going to paint our current home this summer.

I dust to make sure there is no dirt or film that usually does it.
Bathrooms I always wash to get rid of any possible mold and because of soap in the steam and I use a LOT of EO in my baths and showers. So I want to get off any oil/soap residue.
The kitchen usually has some greasy residue so it is a safe bet to wash there. The rest I'd just dust and spot clean/sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabbit
05-10-2013, 08:29 PM
It is kinda not supposed to dry on the wall. It's like car wash. Suds a section, rinse a section. But it will come off.