PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Salad Dressings?

RealLifeMama
05-03-2013, 08:39 AM
What are your favorite salad dressings?
In my family, everyone just uses two, Caesar and ranch. I do make balsamic vinaigrette for myself, but no one eats it.
Since warmer weather is here, I plan to make more salads, but want to try to make salad dressings that the family will like and enjoy, and get them to branch out from the yucky bottled stuff.
I have made homemade ranch before and will start doing that, but I'd like other ideas, too.
What are your favorites? Also, what types of salads do you especially like with them?

I have this salad I will be making this week, and I need ideas of a good dressing for it.

5 oz cashews roasted
1 head romaine
5 oz dried cranberries
4-6 oz crumbled goat cheese
2 apples diced
2 tsp lemon juice
Directions Sprinkle lemon juice on apples.
mix to coat.
Layer ingredients in a large salad bowl. Toss gently and serve with favorite dressing.

Sundance
05-03-2013, 08:42 AM
I have a poppy seed dressing that I absolutely *love* I'll eat it on almost anything, but really like it on a spinach salad (spinach, raw onion, mushrooms, mozza cheese shreddded & boiled egg). I'll BBL with the recipe.

mamacat
05-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Fav salad is crumbled blue cheese lettuce greens,slivered almonds and shredded carrots and some red onion with simple oil and vinegar dressing .2 parts olive oil,1 part ACV ,salt and pepper.Any spices you like can add a little honey if want sweet

Marrae
05-03-2013, 09:49 AM
I saved this recently but haven't tried it yet.
Strawberry Balsamic Salad Dressing

8 whole Fresh Strawberries (medium), Hulled
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
2 Tablespoons White Balsamic Vinegar
1 pinch Kosher Salt
4 teaspoons Olive Oil

In a small food processor or blender, blend strawberries, Dijon mustard, white balsamic vinegar and salt until smooth. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil as it’s still blending, until fully incorporated. Strain the mixture into a jar. Can be refrigerated for a few days and it freezes well.

It also said that it is better with really ripe tasty strawberries.

I'm looking forward to making it soon.

Sundance
05-06-2013, 05:20 AM
:bag I just realized I forgot to come back here.

Poppy Seed Dressing
3/4 C white sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
1tsp salt vinegar (white, but I sometimes use part ACV)
1 tsp onion flakes
1 C olive oil (gives a strong taste, sometimes I prefer sunflower oil)
1 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds

Blend first 5 ingredients until smooth. Add olive oil drop-wise while blending. Stir in poppy seeds.

It makes a goo amount, but I just store it in the fridge, and I've yet to have it go bad (both because it's so good that we eat it quickly, but all that vinegar and sugar preserve it pretty well).

Soliloquy
08-08-2015, 03:35 PM
:bump

I'm interested in more salad dressing recipes, too.

I make a green goddess dressing a lot.

Into the food processor I put about equal amounts yogurt and mayo. A good amount of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Granulated garlic (or fresh). A dash of ACV. Then a big bunch of either parsley or cilantro and a small bunch of chives. A dash of cayenne. Blend until creamy. Thin with milk if needed or leave thick as a dip.

charla
08-08-2015, 03:59 PM
I make my salad dressing directly on the salad most of the time because it's easy.

Our faves:

Fresh squeezed lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic, oregano
Balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic, sometimes a little sugar depending on the kind of salad
Red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic, your choice of italian herbs, parmesan cheese

2sunshines
08-08-2015, 04:25 PM
My go to recipe is a balsamic vinaigrette. It's olive oil, honey, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard. Super delicious.

I have made a few others, but usually go back to my old stand by...

I am interested in more recipes tho so thanks for this thread (and for the one who bumped it up :giggle)!

rosesnsnails
08-08-2015, 04:47 PM
I love Braggs. https://bragg.com/healthinfo/healthydressing.html

Sally
06-14-2016, 01:54 AM
Is it legal to reply to a thread posted 3 years ago? :)

There are a lot of healthy dressing you can buy, but I prefer the home-made since dressing is very easy to make

I'm not strictly following any diet but the simple idea is to avoid sugar if you want the dressing to be healthy. There is a recipe round up post I saved some months ago, maybe you'll find your best recipe here: http://paleo202.com/paleo-salad-dressing/

My favorite is red and white balsamic:

1 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Red Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 Cup White Balsamic Vinegar
1 Teaspoon Stone Ground or Dijon Mustard – or to taste
2 Garlic Cloves – minced
1 Teaspoon Sea Salt – or to taste
Dash of Black Pepper

Soliloquy
06-14-2016, 05:46 PM
I used to make green goddess dressing. But I forgot about it until we had it a restaurant recently and we remembered how great it is. I'll have to find a new recipe because I lost mine.

mommychem
06-14-2016, 08:39 PM
I used to make green goddess dressing. But I forgot about it until we had it a restaurant recently and we remembered how great it is. I'll have to find a new recipe because I lost mine.

Your dressing is post #6 in this thread. :wink I read the whole thing before realizing it was started 3 years ago.

Little Forest
06-15-2016, 07:53 AM
My salad dressing is mixing French and mayonnaise together which is the closest approximation to ranch dairy free. :shifty In another phase of life I would love to make dressings, sigh.
Posted via Mobile Device