PDA

View Full Version : natural ways to get floor really shiney?

RJones1204
05-02-2013, 09:13 AM
We are living in a rental house for the first time in three years. We were in a 3rd floorapartment before that. Needless to say I adore all my hard floors now. When we moved in you could tell they used Mop n' Glow to shine them up. But that has chemicals that dont exactly thrill me. What are some alternatives? I have a crawling baby and almost 4yo who still puts everything in her mouth. Thanks!!!

Marrae
05-03-2013, 12:19 AM
How are the floors finished?

There is a recipe for beeswax, oil and eo polish around but I don't know if that would make the floor slippy. :think

Little Forest
05-03-2013, 01:06 AM
I used microfiber damp mopping on hard floors when I had them (and I miss them!). I actually got some big container of some supposedly ecofriendly concetrated floor cleaning solution that I mixed with water in a spray bottle. If I didn't have that, I would use a mix of vinegar and water.

I would be after clean floors moreso than shiny per se.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tuesdayschild
05-03-2013, 01:40 AM
I was going to say, I've heard vinegar recommended :yes I tried it recently (mixed with water, and then I really wrung the cloth out before it touched the floor). I'm pretty happy with the result. I wasn't sure whether you were supposed to mix it with water, but I didn't want the house to smell of vinegar!

HadassahSukkot
05-03-2013, 02:04 AM
I used microfiber damp mopping on hard floors when I had them (and I miss them!). I actually got some big container of some supposedly ecofriendly concetrated floor cleaning solution that I mixed with water in a spray bottle. If I didn't have that, I would use a mix of vinegar and water.

I would be after clean floors moreso than shiny per se.
Posted via Mobile Device
This. IF it is treated a certain way, you could use an electric steam mop. We had treated wood and tile at our old apartment and used that fine there. We now have tile and vinyl flooring, and we either will use the microfiber damp mop or we use the steam mop after vacuuming. No chemicals at all.

IF we need more, I'll get out the microfiber mop and put a little steaming hot vinegar water on it. :shrug3

Little Forest
05-03-2013, 03:43 AM
We have a new steam mop to use and I like it so far. I like not having to go around with a spray bottle in one hand and mop in the other. :lol We have mostly tile floors now though. Have I mentioned that I miss wood floors. :sad (or "timber floors" as they say here which always makes me thing of a tree falling down :lol)
Posted via Mobile Device

RJones1204
05-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone!!! I'm going to try to find that beeswax recipe to polish them up. I wonder if it wonder if it would work on furniture too.:think