PDA

View Full Version : My dishwasher is not the boss of me

ThreeKids
04-30-2013, 07:30 AM
But it controls me anyway.

Every day of my life, that dishwasher must run at least once or my main missions in life get bottle-necked. No one eats if there aren't clean dishes. I can't cook if there are dishes everywhere. Other priorities pale in comparison to serving food so I can't justify giving them attention until that's conquered.

And then I'll throw in even more stipulations, like planning to take a shower AFTER I get a load started. That can jam up my day even worse, because then I can't go anywhere because I haven't had a shower.

But the mind-numbing boredom of the endless cycle of dishes makes it the most tempting procrastination.

I have tricks and rules to keep my brain alive enough to do it.

--If there are clean dishes in the dishwasher and the microwave is running, I can do nothing else but unload them. One minute spurts seems about the right pace to do something that boring.

--I get to tell people to stop asking me for stuff while I'm loading the dishwasher because it's not worth washing my hands and getting side-tracked just so someone can have a glass of milk now.

--I assure myself I'm only going to address one rack at a time so it'll seem like a smaller tortuously boring task and I'll be more likely to make it all the way into the kitchen.

--I pay attention to how little time it actually takes to unload and load a dishwasher. I need to use an actual timer, but the job really can be done in less than fifteen minutes and can be broken down as needed. Knowing just how close I am to the end of that task helps.

But then, the load finishes and I have to start over and. it. never. ends. (that assurance I was close to the end was false)

Doing dishes rusts my brain.

Any other tricks to force my brain to work for twenty minutes a day? Every day. In perpetuity.

klpmommy
04-30-2013, 07:36 AM
I make P&E unload mine.

Blue-EyedLady
04-30-2013, 08:25 AM
ITU

I like the unload while microwaving rule. :yes

For a while, I read the FlyLady stuff. Her thing was to run the dishwasher at night, and unload it first thing in the AM so you can just load as you go all day. I haven't quite gotten to that point, but my day goes so much better if I wash the dishes after dinner. I've been working really hard to make that a habit. :yes It's to the point now where I feel like I'm sabotaging my morning if I don't run the dishwasher at night. YMMV

librarianjojo
04-30-2013, 08:36 AM
I completely understand! It is amazing how a load of clean dishes can completely bottleneck your kitchen. It usually only takes me about 3 minutes to unload the thing, but I act like it is going to take up the rest of my day. :giggle My rule is that I can't open the dishwasher to get out just one thing that I need - I have to unload the whole thing. I really convince myself that it is physically impossible to do otherwise and the whole balance of the universe will shift otherwise. :lol Sounds insane, but it works. :shrug3 OR...I listen to Dave Ramsey podcasts while I do my daily stuff - dishes, cooking, laundry, etc.