PDA

View Full Version : One cant have too many crock pots, right? How do you feel about sm kitchen appliance?

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
04-10-2013, 03:14 PM
I use my crock pot all the time. I actually think Id use it more if the stoneware was removable and therefore easier to wash. Im really hoping to spot a decent crock pot at a thrift store. One with a timer and maybe settings besides "low, high, off." And when I find it...Im not sure Ill get rid of this one...cus if I had TWO I could easily make meals to freeze.

Wooohooo....

Am I crazy for wanting two? LOL.

Every decluttering thing I read says to get rid of your kitchen appliances that you "never use" But I cant imagine living without any of my small kitchen appliances. If somebody stormed in here and threatened to tickle me to death if I couldnt give up one, I guess id give up the blender cus I have a food processor...:think

How often I use my small kitchen appliances:
:heartCoffee maker and microwave: daily
:heartCrock pot: multiple times per week
:heart Immersion/stick blender 1-3x per week
:heartRice cooker: 1-2x per week
:heartFood processor: weekly
:heartWaffle maker: at least once a month
:heartDehydrator: frequently through summer
:heartOld school "salad shooter": frequently though summer
:heartElectric skillet once every 1-2 mos
:heartSoymilk maker: Daily when we are in the kick. Its been a while.
:heartBread maker:2-3 x a week when we are in a kick, its been a while but will be used soon...
:heartYogurt maker: Used frequently till one of the cups broke, seeking replacement.
:heartblender: Ehh, our least used, maybe half a dozen times a year?

Oh and we used to have air poppers for popcorn, but I always used them 1-2 a DAY and burnt the motors out fast. Sigh. Now I make it on the stove top but it is a chore so I am going without popcorn a lot. No, we dont have a toaster...it ummm, caught fire.... ;)

Id also love to have an icecream maker but I fear not using it enough...:think

Do other people use their appliances this frequently or am I weird? How often do you use what? What could you live without? What do you want?

SnowWhite
04-10-2013, 03:27 PM
I have one I need to get rid of actually. IDK where you live but I imagine shipping would be $$$. It is our spare and I don't use t enough to justify keeping it.

I have a stand mixer, immersion blender, crockpot, toaster, blender, microwave and food processor. I use all of them regularly except the food processor. I've been thinking about getting rid of it because I don't feel like I use it enough. :think

Lily
04-10-2013, 03:29 PM
I have 3 crockpots so yeah, you're not weird. I have one of the fancy digital ones with the lockdown lid so I can take it places. I have one that does hi, low, warm (and we have a spare crock for it). The last one is a small dip one that holds less than a pint. It's super cute for parties but not super useful the rest of the time. Plus the crock isn't removable.

We also have an electric grill/griddle, coffee maker, ice cream maker, kitchenaid mixer, hand mixer, grill cheese maker, waffle maker, food processor, blender and tortilla press (not technically an appliance, but it takes up space).

Domina
04-10-2013, 03:30 PM
I also have three Crock Pots. :giggle

Glitterfish
04-10-2013, 03:53 PM
I have 2 crock pots. I lurve mine :heart

I make bone broth in one (it goes for days), and then still have one to make a meal in.

I wish I had a food processor. I only have a cheapie blender I got at a tag sale for $5.

raining_kisses
04-10-2013, 03:59 PM
I think it's standard when you cook from scratch a lot. :yes

NeshamaMama
04-10-2013, 04:01 PM
My ideal would be 4 crockpots. :shifty One for perpetual bone broth, one for beans, one for dinner, and one for lunch. :melting

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2

Dovenoir
04-10-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm a small appliance junkie too.

Coffee Maker, Toaster, Blender, Crockpot, Large and small food processors (yes I use both) Waffle iron, george foreman grill, pressure cooker. Vacuum Sealer, Kitchen aid mixer.

I don't use everything every day. The lesser used ones are in a bin on our wire shelves. The majority of clutter in our kitchen comes from one trick pony ingredients.

I want: low tech crockpot for broth/sides. immersion blender, Vitamix (someday) and a coffee/spice grinder. Dehydrator. Rice cooker, Bread maker..

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
04-10-2013, 04:17 PM
I think it's standard when you cook from scratch a lot. :yes

Maybe thats the key. A lot of us here are making from scratch (from really real scratch!) and most Americans are not, so the advice to free up kitchen space is to get rid of these unused gadgets would make sense to those arent cooking so much from scratch. :think

Ohh, Dovenoir you reminded me how much I want a vitamix! :heart

I also have this dream of making more Indian food...and I would love a grain mill for that. Cus I :heart dosai and Idli!!!

(SnowWhite, I think we live too far apart to ship it but thats a sweet offer. :heart)

Mother of Sons
04-10-2013, 04:29 PM
I have no crock pot. When I had one I rarely used it.

I have a kuerig. It hasn't been used in a year.

No blender

Lived fine without a microwave

If it were just me I wouldn't need a toaster.

I do use my food processor, stand mixer and waffle maker though. I have lived without all 3 and did just fine but I do like the processor and mixer.

I do cook from scratch 99 percent of the time but I grew up with a knife and I still think its probably the simplest way to go.

Eta: I forgot my rice cooker! I do use that a fair bit. I steam eggs in it and make rice for the kids.

cbmk4
04-10-2013, 06:22 PM
I love my kitchen appliances. Here are mine:

Slow cooker (new one programmable with high, low, warm in any 30 min time increment)
Old slow cooker--no bells and whistles and cooks too hot for all day use
Blender (nothing fancy, just an Oster with glass jar)
Food processor
Hand mixer
Rice cooker
Bread machine
Deep fryer (never use this! My mother bought it for dh)
Belgian waffle maker (love this thing)
Immersion blender (indispensable!)
Sandwich pocket maker (hardly ever use)
Toaster oven
Toaster
Kitchen scale
Microwave
Old fashioned ice cream freezer
Coffee maker (love this Cuisinart with thermal caraffe)
Coffee/spice grinder

Appliances I would like but probably won't buy:

New type ice cream maker
Fancy rice cooker

mamaKristin
04-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Also a 3 crockpot owner :yes Big, smaller, and wee one for dips.

I have:
coffee maker
toaster
a stand mixer
vitamix (use at least once daily)
rice cooker
waffle iron
indoor grill (mainly use on my diet program)
and my crockpots
oh, I've also got a counter top roasting oven, which lives in the basement. I don't use it often (3-4 times a year) but it's worth having for when I do. I can cook a 20 pound turkey in it without heating up the house, or using the whole oven. It's also got inserts for other dishes, like for buffets.

only the coffee pot, vitamix and stand mixer live on the counter. Everything else has a home out of sight.

Llee
04-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Look at Big Lots for a good crockpot.

gerberadaisy
04-10-2013, 06:46 PM
You name it, I probably have it:

2 crock pots 1 large, 1 smaller -use the smaller one the most as it's just big enough for the three of us to cook a decent meal. The larger one get's used when I'm cooking a whole chicken or for company
bread maker - used to use it regularly, not so much lately - need to get it back out, could use some great sandwich bread recipes ;)
food processor - used infrequently but it sits on the counter
hand mixer - it was hubby's & we rarely use it
electric knife - used two - three times in five years but my mom had one & I "needed" it.
rice cooker/steamer - go through spurts on how frequently this gets used
2 george foreman's (we each had one when we got married) - go through spurts on use
2 blender's (same as foreman) - never use
stick blender - use a lot in spring/summer for smoothies

juicer that's going out - it only sort of works & I want to replace it
coffee/spice grinder - semi regularly
magic bullet - frequently
toaster - weekly until we got the toaster oven
toaster oven - almost daily
microwave (at one point we had three! - my old one, his old one & the new one we got when we redid the kitchen) - almost daily
stand mixer - more in the winter when I bake
waffle maker/griddle - hardly ever
dehydrator - used a lot in the summer
coffee maker - daily for hubby
I had a pressure cooker til the "thingy" popped & I haven't replaced it (technically still have it, just need to replace the "thingy")
food saver - depends on where I buy my meat...gets used if it's bought other than costco (they already have it broke down for our family)
kitchen scale

I think that covers the kitchen.

charla
04-10-2013, 06:57 PM
I have five crockpots :shifty: Two large oval ones, two old-fashioned round, tall ones that we got for our wedding 20 years ago (so glad I didn't take one back :phew), and one of those tiny ones. I use the first four all of the time. I love using them for potluck dinners at church. I don't use the tiny one very much at all though. I hosted Christmas dinner for my husband's large family and I cooked only in crockpots - ham, roast beef, potato casserole and green beans and I made cold appetizers, fruit salad and lettuce salad to go with it and someone else brought rolls and dessert. It was so stinkin' easy, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I am really not much of an appliance gal. I hate all of the room they take up. However I do have the following:

Food processor
Blender
Can opener
Microwave
Ninja smoothie maker - don't really need, but it's nice to have
Hand mixer
Immersion blender
Electric knife
Bread machine - wish I used it more
Dehydrator - wish I used it more
Coffee maker - used by company only
Toaster oven - use rarely
Juicer - haven't used for years
George Foreman grill - hardy ever use it
Tea maker - hardly ever used it
Waffle iron - hardly ever use it
Toaster - never used to my knowledge
ETA: oops forgot I have a small electric skillet - I haven't used it for many, many years

Dovenoir
04-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Now see, if we had the GCM commune.. some of these poor neglected kitchen tools may find more use :giggle.

Luciola
04-10-2013, 08:40 PM
I love appliances and I have one working crockpot and two broken ones. But I'm a bit of a hoarder so Idk how helpful that is. :Lol I also have three blenders, two toasters, food processer, stand mixer, wok, electric grill/skilllet, waffle maker, yogurt maker, and a coffee grinder.