PDA

View Full Version : Glass storage

Weezie
04-02-2013, 08:59 AM
For flours/sugars and the like, what do you use? I currently use this (http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Square-4-Quart-Storage-Container/dp/B000UHYB9E/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1364917933&sr=8-6&keywords=flour+storage) but am thinking of something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Libbey-71366-42-Ounce-Glass-Storage/dp/B001E5CQ5M/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1364918306&sr=1-8&keywords=glass+flour+storage).

What do you use? What do you think of the above links?

2sunshines
04-02-2013, 09:01 AM
I use big glass jars that originally came with something else in them. :shrug3 I'm not sure what since they came from mil's house. But they're just super big glass jars with screw on lids.

Weezie
04-02-2013, 09:03 AM
I use big glass jars that originally came with something else in them. :shrug3 I'm not sure what since they came from mil's house. But they're just super big glass jars with screw on lids.

I have to admit something- I have NO glass jars in my house. Like NONE.:shifty I don't can anything.:blush

2sunshines
04-02-2013, 09:49 AM
I have to admit something- I have NO glass jars in my house. Like NONE.:shifty I don't can anything.:blush

Oh, these aren't even canning jars. They're much bigger than that. I think they're one gallon size or something. They were originally purchased with something in them, like pickles or sauce or something... Not sure what. :think But they've been reused and washed so many times that it doesn't matter anyway. :giggle

Mother of Sons
04-02-2013, 11:26 AM
I use half gallon canning jars.

gpsings
04-02-2013, 11:35 AM
:yes me too. canning jars. They are cheap....and pretty. :) Because they are on the top of my tiny cupboards, because they won't fit in our tiny pantry, because there are so many of them. :-D

Iarwain
04-02-2013, 11:56 AM
I use canning jars. After having repeated incursions by pantry moths I won't store dry goods in anything that doesn't have a screw down lid. Even containers I *thought* sealed tightly have proven unable to keep the nasty buggers out but a good mason jar with the lid on tight works every time. As a bonus they are cheap, often available at garage sales, standardized so I don't have a million sizes of lids and containers, and in my old farmhouse the pantry shelves were actually built to perfectly fit quart sized mason jars in height. I usually label them by writing directly on the jar with Sharpie to make things easier when the contents look very similar. It comes right off with rubbing alcohol.

Luciola
04-02-2013, 02:18 PM
I also use mason jars, bought for the express purpose of storing dry goods. Or use empty sauce jars. I save the glass jars of anything we buy - peanut butter, tomato sauce, jelly, etc.