PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen organization

2sunshines
04-02-2013, 08:48 AM
I've been bitten by the kitchen organization bug. I feel a need to revamp my kitchen storage.

So I'm looking for ideas. What are your favourite kitchen organization tips? What items do you have and love? Pictures get you double points. ;)

Looking for creative ways to store fresh produce (which usually just invade my countertop right now) -- possibly wire hanging baskets?

Also looking for inventive ways to organize everything else in my kitchen -- pots and pans, utensils, tupperware, glasses and plates, etc.

So give me everything you've got!

MomtoJGJ
04-02-2013, 09:09 AM
The only thing "inventive" I've done in my kitchen is to put self contained plastic drawers in the cabinets to hold the kids plastic junk (dishes, whatever, stuff I don't care if they grab and play with it outside) and another one for lids to pots and pans. That way all that junk doesn't get all over the cabinets.

:popcorn for ideas... especially for spice storage

2sunshines
04-02-2013, 09:48 AM
The only thing "inventive" I've done in my kitchen is to put self contained plastic drawers in the cabinets to hold the kids plastic junk (dishes, whatever, stuff I don't care if they grab and play with it outside) and another one for lids to pots and pans. That way all that junk doesn't get all over the cabinets.

:popcorn for ideas... especially for spice storage

Can you show me pictures? I'm trying to envision...

MomtoJGJ
04-02-2013, 09:53 AM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Medium-Drawer-Set-of-6-Black/20699764

like these, except I'm not really sure what size... I guess that would depend on the size of the shelves in the cabinet. I put this on the shelf to turn that shelf into a drawer.

Mother of Sons
04-02-2013, 11:22 AM
My pans hang on the wall

I keep all my flours etc in glass jars

Produce goes in bins in the fridge.

I keep my cooking utensils in a pitcher next to the stove.

My spices are in magnet containers on the fridge.

Ill try to post pics when I get home.

gpsings
04-02-2013, 11:29 AM
I LOVE :heart stuff that magnets! I have a magnetic knife rack on the wall with hooks on it for measuring cups, etc...a big canister for utinsels, I have these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002T4ZHS/ref=wms_ohs_product_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for spices -mounted to the side of my cupboard by the stove, large mason jars for flours and nuts and coconut, etc lining the tops of my cabinets....since they are small cabinets that don't reach the ceiling....and I have fancied them up with round labels and pretty ribbons....
I made sure to get rid of any of my storage containers that don't stack together, and I store all the lids in one large container. I use a tickler file by month to keep papers from piling up on the counter, (I KNOW I'm not the only one who has that problem!) and keep cookbooks on a bakers rack in the dining room. :)
I can post pictures another time when I'm not quite so lazy. :)

gentlemommy
04-10-2013, 01:04 AM
:popcorn I'm really interested in ways to store fresh produce too.

sweetpeas
04-10-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm still working on figuring out how I want to do things (we just moved in January), eventually I want a pot rack for the pots & pans, for now they're on the shelves of a butcherblock island. The things that are working really well are:

* magnetic knife rack, I've had that in the last 2 houses as well, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it, knives are easy to get to, and high enough that little ones won't inadvertently get into them.

*daily use silverware stays on the counter. When we first moved in, I hadn't unpacked the little trays I use in a drawer for silverware, AND we were using more canned foods and such because it's quicker/easier than, say, cooking black beans from scratch, so the first couple of meals, I washed out the cans we'd eaten out of, and dropped the silverware in them, and I LOVE it. I have one for teaspoons, one for tablespoons and serving spoons, one for knives and reusable straws, and one for both sizes of forks, it's quick to put stuff away and quick to grab when we need them. My neighbor uses a revolving desk organizer thingy for her silverware and just sets it in the middle of the table at mealtime, that works well too.

*hooks inside a cabinet door for measuring spoons and cups. I just used command hooks, LOVE it!

ShangriLewis
04-15-2013, 11:24 AM
We had a a knife thingie once. It seemed so cool except I realized I have a thing about knives being out :bag. It is like the boogie man can find them easier.

librarianjojo
04-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Can I second the hanging pots and pans on walls?

Here's my kitchen:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a632/jbixler12/IMG_0187_zps9839ac6d.jpg (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/jbixler12/media/IMG_0187_zps9839ac6d.jpg.html)

Except for a stockpot (which I keep in a lower cabinet) those are all of my pots, pans, and lids. I cook big meals several times a week and I'm constantly using them. I have a very small hallway type kitchen (which I :heart:heart:heart BTW, it is so easy to keep clean), so I don't have any storage options other than this. I've just driven nails into the wall to hang everything on. I think I have one picture hanging hook, but a nail works just fine and no one has ever said anything except to compliment it.

AFA produce storage:

Onions, potatoes, and winter squash goes in the pantry.
Apples, pears, and oranges live in a bowl on my table and act as my centerpiece.
Everything else is either in the crisper drawer or frozen for future use.

ShangriLewis
04-18-2013, 06:06 PM
I want to get some wire baskets that go on the wall at our next house for produce. I saw it on pinterest:giggle.