PDA

View Full Version : selenium for thyroid- check iodine first?

greenishmama
04-01-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm confused about supplementing with selenium for hypothyroid. I read an article (at stop the thyroid madness) that said supplementing with selenium if there is an iodine deficiency will make the iodine deficiency worse. But I've never heard that anywhere else by those promoting selenium. I'm hoping to find out if I have an iodine deficiency but in the meantime am now thinking I should not start supplementing with selenium. :scratch

anyone know about this?

Llee
04-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Did you find an answer yet?

crunchymum
04-06-2013, 12:22 PM
LisaM is an expert on this. You should poke her. :)

DancingWithElves
04-06-2013, 02:31 PM
I was very close to doing this. However, for reasons far to complex for me to try and type up here, there are many cases when supplementing with either iodine or selenium s like putting gasoline into the fire :(

If you are in pretty good health, you can always just decide to be brave enough to try it. But anyone in a fragile state should be extremely careful.

ArmsOfLove
04-06-2013, 02:35 PM
from what I understand the important thing is to do both TOGETHER. I do 2 drops of iodine with 4 drops of selenium every morning, plus my synthroid and adrenal support. I'm working with a naturopath, though.

greenishmama
04-06-2013, 05:54 PM
I should probably start a separate post for this but is there a certain type of iodine that is better? I came across and article (also selling products) that recommended Iosol iodine http://www.wellnessresources.com/products/iosol_iodine.php#ingredients_dosage and says that it does not build up and "congest" the thyroid as compared to Lugol's or other potassium iodide supplements. It says that Hashimoto's was discovered... the thyroid was congested with too much postassium iodide from Japanese eating too many sea vegetables. ??
Not sure if this person is just trying sell his product or if there is truth to that. His product gets the iodine from kelp (isolates it as pure idodine...? wondering about mercury....) and ammonium iodide which he says is more soluble in water than potassium iodide.