PDA

View Full Version : Cast iron

Mother of Sons
03-25-2013, 06:06 PM
I decided to take my pans out of the cupboard and hang them on the wall. I have 13!!! I didn't know I had that many. It would have been 15 but someone accidentally threw one in a fire and it exploded and the other I got rid of. Anyhow. That's a lot of pans on my wall. One of them is a chicken fryer that I saw on eBay. Buy it now for $340! Makes me a little afraid to use it lol. Dh told me he has lots of cast iron in storage that was his moms. I'd love to find them.

So here's what I have:

Chicken fryer
Wok
Dutch oven
Round griddle
Abelskiver
12 inch
10 inch x 3
11 inch deep
11 inch regular
8 inch
7 inch

The sizes are approximate diameter. Hopefully having them out in the open will help me use them more. I tend to just use two of the smaller pans that I keep on the stove all the time.

PrincessAnika
03-25-2013, 07:03 PM
i only have one but i :heart it. its kinda big i should get a smaller one too....

BearyBlessed
03-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Wow! I only have a couple of cast iron.

I have an aebleskiver pan- got it as a wedding gift :heart, a rectangular griddle, and a 12ish" pan. I use the griddle and pan almost every day. The aebleskiver one only gets used on special occasions.
I'd love to have a few more. :yes

Glitterfish
03-29-2013, 10:35 AM
I lurve my cast iron! I only have 2, a big ol' bombproof frying pan and a smaller one we bought at Walmart.

I still need to nail down a routine for taking care of them though :bag

chasingbutterflies
03-29-2013, 10:42 AM
they make cast iron woks???

Sara - I finally figured out a routine. I got one of those scraper thingies (kinda like a Pampered Chef scraper - or if you have that, that'd work). wash the pan in hot water, scrape off any grossness with a scraper. hand dry it, and oil with olive/canola/veg oil. My pans look AWESOME now. :tu

Glitterfish
03-29-2013, 10:48 AM
they make cast iron woks???

Sara - I finally figured out a routine. I got one of those scraper thingies (kinda like a Pampered Chef scraper - or if you have that, that'd work). wash the pan in hot water, scrape off any grossness with a scraper. hand dry it, and oil with olive/canola/veg oil. My pans look AWESOME now. :tu

Not sure what you mean by scraper thingy.... is it metal or plastic? I usually scrape mine w/ a metal spatula and hot water, dry and oil w/ coconut oil. They aren't too bad, but it's a huge pain to get the corners (where the side meets the bottom), especially when I've made something like scrambled eggs or something saucy like taco meat.

Mmmmm.... now I want tacos...... :yum

chasingbutterflies
03-29-2013, 11:00 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Pan-Scrapers-Set-2/dp/B000JHKKNG that kind of thing - although mine has a small handle along the top. there's a bit of a curve so it is easier to get into the edges.

Happygrl
03-29-2013, 11:01 AM
The sharper is plastic. I haven't seen them at Target or Walmart but bed, bath and Beyond has them and I'm guessing most kitchen supply stores do, too. They have a corner that is rounded, so they are great for getting in the corners and sides.

I was told you shouldn't use a metal because it could scrape off the non-stickness of the pan. I don't know of that's true or not, though.

greengirl19
03-29-2013, 11:42 AM
I couldn't live without my pampered chef scraper. It's plastic, with each corner being a different curve for different pans. My routine is let the pan cool most of the way, rinse in hot water and scrape, and dry on a warm burner. Oil if needed, but that's very rare because I'm usually cooking in a hearty amount of fat.

abh5e8
03-29-2013, 04:11 PM
i wash the cast iron skillets in hot/warm water and use a dishrag or metal spatula or the plastic scrubbie (i make from used produce bags) to get all the food off. then dry, put on coconut oil and keep in the oven. about once a week i turn the oven on low (200?) overnight. it really helps keep up the shine.

2sunshines
04-02-2013, 08:51 AM
I am in mad love with our cast iron and use it pretty much exclusively. My problem is storage. Right now I put our three different sized frying pans inside each other and store inside the oven.

I'd love to see the picture of how you store them by hanging!