PDA

View Full Version : Cutting boards: Wood or plastic?

ReadingMommy
03-21-2013, 11:58 AM
...or something else? For fruits and vegetables, and the occasional (cooked!) meat. I'm primarily concerned about ease of washing and having it be sanitary.

:popcorn

Luciola
03-21-2013, 12:03 PM
If you are not putting raw meat on it, I would stick with wood. I use an NSF plastic for raw meat because I'm not personally comfortable using raw meat on a wooden board.

ReadingMommy
03-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Just wondering what would be better about wood and how hard it would be to clean?:think

MegMarch
03-21-2013, 12:43 PM
I swear by Epicurean brand. They are the best of both worlds imo. "

Natural wood fiber based cutting surface trees are harvested from managed forests. Made in the USA
Dishwasher safe; NSF approved. Knife Friendly. Maintenance free, no need to oil or bleach. Material developes a richer color over time.
Temperature resisitant to up to 350 degrees. Use as a trivet without leaving browned rings from pots and pans.
Enginered space for handling and hanging."

Luciola
03-21-2013, 12:47 PM
I basically just rinse mine off, wipe with a damp cloth, and let dry. Wood is easier on your knives and IMO just as easy to keep clean, plus I think they look nicer. ;) Bacteria can hide out in the grooves on a plastic board so the idea that plastic = more sanitary is not true IMO, particularly if you are not using raw meat.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

We don't currently have a dishwasher, so my opinion reflects having to handwash the cutting board either way.

mollobe
03-21-2013, 12:52 PM
I love my bamboo cutting board and also my Epicurean one. I do have a plastic one that I use for meat and stinky veggies (onions, garlic, etc) because I hate the old onion smell that never comes out. I put the plastic one in the dishwasher, so I figure the high temp kills any bacteria, even if they're hiding in the grooves. :shrug3

WildFlower
03-21-2013, 01:01 PM
I use plastic because I have a wooden one and it always seems to slippery. My knife slides, the food slides and the board slides around. I hated it. :shifty

Mother of Sons
03-21-2013, 01:53 PM
I just switched to wood. I hand wash. I read recently that studies showed that wood is perfectly fine for raw meat and that plastic can harbor more germs for hand washers.

mountainash
03-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Wood is naturally anti-bacterial.

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
03-21-2013, 01:59 PM
We use wood/bamboo....

I have no idea what i would use it I prepped meat- it sure would not be plastic though. Those start to look NASTY after a bit. :sick But then I dont know about cleaning salmonella out of plastic or wood. :think But maybe since you only do cooked meat on it it would be okay on wood?

Maybe I would go with one of those glass ones for meats even though I kidna feel like that would be like nails on a chalk board.

OneLove
03-21-2013, 02:02 PM
I use glass. Love it and haven't had any problems.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

MaybeGracie
03-21-2013, 02:32 PM
I use glass for meat and wood for produce and bread.

Mother of Sons
03-21-2013, 02:33 PM
I used to use glass but it wrecked my knives and chicken was so slippery that I cut myself. I did like how easy it was to clean though.

Luciola
03-21-2013, 03:29 PM
I would not use glass because it is so hard on knives. I have a professional set of knives that I love and wouldn't want to pay to replace though.