PDA

View Full Version : Mommypotamus' laundry detergent recipe

Thankfulforgrace
03-19-2013, 05:57 AM
Anyone ever used this or something similar? I'm especially intrigued about lemon oil getting out stains...

http://www.mommypotamus.com/homemade-natural-laundry-detergent-made-easy/

BabyMolly
03-19-2013, 10:54 AM
I've tried this, but it didn't work as well as Rockin Green which I got for my cloth diapers, but now use on everything. I like baby oxyclean for stains -- I soak overnight and it usually works like a charm.

BarefootBetsy
03-19-2013, 11:18 AM
I use the Duggar's liquid laundry soap recipe and it works great :tu Lasts for a LONG time too! :rockon

mummy2boys
03-19-2013, 09:11 PM
I use the Duggar's liquid laundry soap recipe and it works great :tu Lasts for a LONG time too! :rockon

What is that recipe if you don't mind me asking?

BarefootBetsy
03-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Stick a www. in front of this:

duggarfamily.com/content/duggar_recipes/30455/homemade_liquid_laundry_soap_front_or_top_load_mac hine_best_value

I use between 3 and 5 tablespoons (depending on load size and dirtiness) for my non-HE top-loader and that works just fine! The first gallon I diluted lasted us for about 4 months :tu I put about 12 drops of lavender EO in each gallon (a friend of mine would mix up two separate gallons then put lavender in one and TTO in the other).

ETA: The entire recipe cost me maybe (MAYBE) $3 total in materials - not counting the cost of water or the initial cost of the 5 gallon bucket.

melliethepooh
03-19-2013, 09:30 PM
:cup

Thankfulforgrace
03-20-2013, 11:07 AM
I've heard conflicting things on the natural-ness/gentleness of the Fels-Naptha soap bar :think...

And I want to avoid the Borax...

I wonder if trying to make the mommypatomus one would be worth it. I currently use 7th gen and I'm not all that impressed. But my hubby hates the soap nuts :giggle

4MKfam
03-20-2013, 11:41 AM
We have hard water and a softener system, and we've used the Duggar recipe for almost a year now. I use grated white Zote (half a large bar --we get Zote at the hispanic grocery in huge block bars) for the bar soap, and lavender oil at the end for scent and as an antibacterial. The recipe does call for Borax, but I'm wondering how necessary that is. It really does work, with two caveats: I do buy a bottle of Tide every 6 months or so, mainly because the whites get a little dingy over time and the homemade detergent doesn't manage odor as well as I'd like :-/.

I use vinegar in a Downy ball for fabric softener and that does help the odor a little, but I miss that nice fresh-laundry smell sometimes. This time I put in twice the lavender essential oil, and that does seem to make a difference.

Never used lemon oil, though :think. I might try that in my next batch.

eta: It's not cheap exactly, but my go-to stain remover is Bi-O-Kleen's Bac-Out. Works wonders on carpet stains, too.