PDA

View Full Version : Introducing chores to kids

Tandem mama
03-12-2013, 01:17 PM
I want to teach my kids to do things. I want them to be capable of doing things and to help out with picking up after themselves.

It's a bigger chore for me, though, to direct them to do what they are supposed to. I get angry and frustrated and either stop having them help or I yell.

:help how do I introduce chores, when I'm not even good at doing them myself and getting the kids to clean up anything is double the work of doing it myself?

MomtoJGJ
03-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Get them to do something you are good at. Find ONE THING you are good at or that is easy or that you really don't care how good it's done. Like for me... I really don't care how well the bathroom floor downstairs is swept/swiffered each time because it gets done daily. So that's an early chore. It doesn't take very long to teach, and has very little me doing the work afterwards.... only if there are puddles where someone has accidentally pushed the swiffer button and didn't notice it. Or wiping down the table, or the walls on the stairs, or helping put clothes into the washer or dryer. Those things really aren't going to take me doing anything afterwards or more because either it happens frequently (table), doesn't have to happen (walls), or I'm right there easily supervising (laundry).

As far as getting the kids to, we just do 5 minute spurts and I set the timer on my phone with some sort of funny sound. Alternately, I'll just give them a job to do OR an exercise type thing OR something they consider fun (which generally has something to do with cleaning or exercise or school, they just don't realize it ;) )

Tandem mama
03-12-2013, 03:59 PM
I can't have them do laundry switching because my cats' litter boxes are there and often there's litter on the floor-no matter how much i sweep it. so dropped clothes mean re-washing, but I don't really care about dusting being done right and we have been starting to have them do that some.

ECingMama
03-12-2013, 04:25 PM
We are using accountable kids for com. We modify it for our beliefs, but it works.

GraemesMomma
03-12-2013, 05:02 PM
myjobchart.com