PDA

View Full Version : CUE PANIC! Landlord Inspection!!!! (Help Cheer me on!)

Apple-Saucy
03-05-2013, 10:28 AM
I am married to a packrat.

I am a Messy.

My Bedroom looks like a storage locker exploded.

My living room is ALWAYS 40 minutes from clean.

My kitchen is....frightening 80% of the time.

I dislike opening my home to judgement :-(

I had a panic attack after getting off the phone.

I'm going to lose my mind trying to get everything done :-(

I have 8 days to fix it.

Main issues.

1. My room...lots of stuff that needs to be taken to Good Will...most of it could probably go...:bag
2. Walls...complicated by the fact that they are textured like sandpaper so eat sponges, and rags...very difficult to clean because I can't just wipe them off (one of my biggest complaints here)
3. General cleaning...wiping down counters, toilets, tubs, showers, sink, back splash, cupboard fronts, sweeping mopping vacuuming etc.

3boysforme
03-05-2013, 10:29 AM
:cheer
You can do it!

OneLove
03-05-2013, 10:51 AM
You can do it! Little bit at a time. Is there anyone who could help?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

mamaeffie
03-05-2013, 10:56 AM
you can do it! but i so understand that panic induced from judgment - especially if it's someone who doesn't have children. :hug

Mother of Sons
03-05-2013, 11:35 AM
I almost had a panic attack just reading that. I HATE opening my home to judgement. 8 days, you can do it!

LoveIsGentle
03-05-2013, 11:53 AM
:hug

I am SO glad we never had landlord inspections while we were renting because I would have FREAKED out. :shifty I hate people coming to pass judgment!

You can do it!

momyshaver
03-05-2013, 12:13 PM
I totally understand. We don't have inspections per se, but it is in our leases that it is a possibility and whenever the LL has to come when something breaks (usually dh just handles it, but if it is bad...like when we lost water due to an old water softener spitting sand into all our lines and blocking them), LL has to come and it makes me edgy to say the least. :hug2 You can do it!!! (And think of how awesome you will feel with this unplanned spring cleaning??) :rockon

mommylove
03-05-2013, 12:19 PM
As someone who does landlord inspections, can I give you some perspective? :hug

A landlord is really only looking for one thing: damage. S/he wants to make sure you're taking care of the property. That's it.

A landlord knows that dirt can be cleaned. Clutter will be moved out. Neither of those are a big deal.

S/he is looking for kicked in doors, punched in walls, leaking toilet or other plumbing damaging floors or walls, chewed up doors or baseboards from animals, signs of rodents or other pests -- that kind of stuff. Landlords do inspections not to judge how a person lives, but to minimize damage to their investment. It's more cost-effective to identify a situation early on than to not pay attention & spend several thousand dollars to fix it later.

No one wants to judge you. :hug

LovelyGourmet
03-05-2013, 04:01 PM
If its anything like my house it looks 10 times more daunting than it actually is. You can do it! :cheer

Apple-Saucy
03-05-2013, 06:27 PM
12 30 gallon yrashbags full of clothes, and bedding that we dont need or use

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

also....Honey carved her name in inkpen into a solid wood door. :doh

mommylove
03-05-2013, 10:34 PM
12 30 gallon yrashbags full of clothes, and bedding that we dont need or use

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

also....Honey carved her name in inkpen into a solid wood door. :doh

:woohoo Great job on what you've accomplished so far.

Bummer on the door, but if that's the worst of it, you're in great shape.

SamRose
03-05-2013, 10:40 PM
U can do it! Good job on getting the fabric extras out already. :tu
I hate textured walls! Tooth brushes & scrub brushes are good, since like U said, sponges & cloths dont work.

ShangriLewis
03-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Woah mama your rocking it:rockon

Quiteria
03-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Praying.

mollobe
03-05-2013, 11:13 PM
:cheer

Apple-Saucy
03-06-2013, 07:04 AM
I'm feeling overwhelmed right now.

Maybe it's because I slept awful, or maybe it's because I haven't had my coffee yet...

Maybe it's because I have to tackle "The Corner" alone today.

If you don't hear from me in 4 hours...send in search and rescue.

Gulp.

Beautiful Chaos
03-06-2013, 07:09 AM
You've got this mama!!!!!!!!
:cheer:cheer

crunchymum
03-06-2013, 07:14 AM
You can do it. When you feel like you're sinking or getting distracted, stop, take a deep breath (or several) and re-center yourself. I often have to ask myself, out loud, "ok, self, what is the very next thing I need to do, right now?" So I don't get so overwhelmed and sidetracked.

Apple-Saucy
03-06-2013, 08:10 AM
I had to stop for a cup of coffee...and to cry because DH has meeting scheduled when the Landlord is scheduled to stop by.

I have had to do every single inspection for every home we have ever lived in by myself. I have such HUGE anxiety over it every time...every single time. I'm a mess before hand and an even bigger mess after.

crunchymum
03-06-2013, 08:15 AM
:(

SewingGreenMama
03-06-2013, 08:28 AM
:hugheart you can do it. It is hard to have to do the things that trigger fear in us alone.

Mama Rophe
03-06-2013, 08:49 AM
You can do this! :hugs I will be praying for your anxiety. I totally understand how that feels.

brown eyed girl
03-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Ditto to this. I'm a landlord. If I do an inspection it is to check for leaking pipes and appliances, to check that appliances are still working properly, to look for holes in walls, doors, leaky or broken windows, and signs of mold, mildew, bugs and rodents.

Basically I'm wanting to make sure the place is still something I'd let someone live in!

As for your personal living issues-- you have 5 under 10. So your house should look like it's you against 5. It probably smells like it too. BEEN THERE. And it is a passing phase. Try a little Flylady and make a goal of 15-20 minutes a day, and pat yourself on the back. From my experience it IS easier to live in a house that is decluttered. We need so much less than we think we need. Forget "go to Goodwill." Get things bagged up and call for a Pick-Up. Several charities will come right to your house.