PDA

View Full Version : Building a home?

TenderLovingWillow
02-27-2013, 10:02 PM
I don't know if this is the right forum or not.

DH and I have talked since we got married about building our own home. The closer we get to being debt free, and having the real possibility of saving up a gob of money to purchase a house, the more and more sense building is making.

We are probably 2 1/2 to 3 years away, but its such a huge task, we were talking about working up floor plans, looking at land etc over the next year.

Where exactly would one start with all this? We want to have a good idea of what we want before going to a contractor or having blueprints drawn up. Its not exactly pressing since we still have about 15K of debt to pay off.. But we are hoping to be debt free by September, end of the year at latest, so we can start saving right away in 2014. This baby and tax stuff is going to impact how fast all that happens, but its getting to the place where its feeling more and more like something that *could* happen.

Is it cheesy to go to people's open houses to check out their homes?

We want to have a forever home, that our kids will grow up in, and be able to bring their spouses and families home for Christmas etc when they are all grown and gone.

Any BTDT? Is it worth it to build and get exactly what you want, or would you recommend shopping around for the closest fit, and modifying it? Are there any software programs that would be worth buying to work on floor plan ideas?

Llee
03-01-2013, 06:56 AM
My parents have done both. By far the easiest for them was modifying a plan to suit their needs. They saw the finished house, liked the layout but wanted some modifications to suit our family, and were pretty much happy with the end result.

But I'm totally down with going to open houses so you know what fits and what doesn't for your family.