PDA

View Full Version : Shoes!

illinoismommy
02-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Where do you keep your family's shoes? Pile by front door? Some kind of shoe cubby? Help, shoes are everywhere and it takes up too much room.

Psyche
02-24-2013, 01:24 PM
We have a mat for wet shoes and adult shoes. We keep most adult shoes in our closet and the kids in a laundry basket by the door.

expatmom
02-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Shoes make me crazy.

We have a small hall closet. Inside there is one of those ikea wired basket drawer thingys that has 4 drawers, one for each kid. It is short enough that it fits under the hanging coats. Dh & I have a plastic bin each beside this for our shoes.

We have 4 boot trays that line the hall & that is where our winter boots go.

Summer shoes are sorted and kept upstairs in a hall closet, inaccessible to the kids.

mommylove
02-24-2013, 01:34 PM
We don't have a coat closet in this house so adult shoes are kept in our bedroom & the kids each have a basket-thingy just inside the front door. In the rare even that they have wet shoes, they are kept on the front porch until they're dry.

abh5e8
02-24-2013, 02:22 PM
"outdoor" shoes (snow boots, rain boots, tennis shoes, crocs, flip flops) live in the laundry room/mud room (really just a wide hallway between the door to the garage and the back yard the the rest of the house. I found a bunch of those wire racks you can use to put cans on in your kitchen, in the trash pile and now they are in the garage. i put wet shoes on those to dry. nicer shoes, church shoes have a basket by the front door. we dont' wear shoes in the house, so I like for the kids to keep theirs by the doors.

i keep most of mine in my closet but always have a few pairs by the front door.

BelovedDaughter
02-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Dh keeps his shoes on his side of the walk-in closet. They're on a shelf. Mine are on my side on a shelf, on the floor in the bedroom, under the coffee table, etc. I can't bring myself to get rid of any!

BriansLovie
02-24-2013, 02:30 PM
A shoe orgAnizer over closet door by front door.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

http://m.target.com/p/over-the-door-shoe-organizer/-/A-11678039

illinoismommy
02-24-2013, 05:03 PM
A shoe orgAnizer over closet door by front door.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

http://m.target.com/p/over-the-door-shoe-organizer/-/A-11678039

Hmm can't use something like that with daily used shoes. We have a pile but its because there's a lot of us. :)

mamaKristin
02-24-2013, 05:32 PM
We have a *tiny* entryway (actually, you just walk right into our living room, and we have a mat at the door). And a tiny front closet. With winter, it's much worse. We have a boot mat for wet stuff, and everything else goes into milk crate/shelving that we have stacked in the front hall closet. Which doesn't leave enough room for all our coats, so the kids have 3M hooks by the front door, and snow pants go at the back door. It is an ongoing source of frustration.

amyjoy
02-24-2013, 05:33 PM
I have one of these in our entryway closet: http://m.target.com/p/household-essentials-10-pocket-wide-organizer-brown/-/A-13222290 But there are only three of us, and two of us have small feet.

We also have a big basket by the front door, but it tends to become a catchall for things.

klpmommy
02-24-2013, 06:13 PM
We keep two baskets by the front door that all shoes except dh's work boots (heavy steel toes) belong in.

Hopetobe
02-24-2013, 06:19 PM
We built a cabinet in our fairly wide front hallway and on the ends it has doors that open to shoe cubbies for our most frequently used shoes. Others we keep in my closet on a few shoe racks.

Rabbit
02-24-2013, 06:21 PM
A very cheap wire shelving unit by the front door. Each kid gets two pairs of shoes as a planned item per season. Boots and tennis in winter. Sandals and tennis in summer.

HuggaBuggaMommy
02-24-2013, 06:58 PM
We have a coat closet in our entry area and ds, dh, and I throw our everyday shoes in there. We all keep our rarely worn (basically, sometimes to church or special occasions) "dress" shoes in our bedroom clothes closet. Dd's shoes are kept in a basket in the living room because they're so small and she's the only one who has shoes to wear in the house.

zak
02-25-2013, 06:11 AM
I bought a trunk from Ross. It was the largest of a set of three they had there on the day I went. I think it was $30. Best buy ever. I toss in all the shoes (and kid socks too). Works great.

Teacher Mom
02-25-2013, 06:32 AM
We "recycled" this (http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=Tot+Tutors&category=0|P_GuestMfgBrand|matchallpartial|all+cat egories&lnk=snav_slp_brand) (the deluxe wood organizer) that we had around after the kids had grown up. There are four shelves and so one for each of us. I know you have more people, but you could do like Rabbit said and have two for each of you or something. Flip flops/sandals are just on the floor next to it in the summer.

But it HAS helped a lot. Shoes are such an eye sore. And everyone in our family but my son has a lot of shoes!!!

Beth1231
02-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Out of season shoes get stored in my closet/kids closet up high.

The shoes we use daily/weekly go on the floor of our coat closet and it's A's job to neatly pair them (luckily,she enjoys it)

Dovenoir
02-25-2013, 08:04 AM
We have a boot tray, and I upcycled 3 of these (http://www.walmart.com/ip/ClosetMaid-Selectives-31-Horizontal-Stacker-White/16821259) from a college dumpster dive :shifty

It sits behind the space that the front door opens into.

I also have one of these (http://www.walmart.com/ip/ClosetMaid-3-Shelf-Vertical-Stacker-White/16821258) for gloves/hats/scarves.

And a coat tree.

Wonderful house with no closets =)

HTH

JenLovie
02-25-2013, 08:43 AM
We have a shoe organizer on the inside of our coat closet door. DH and I each use half minus 1 spot for the boys' shoes. Boots go on the floor of the coat closet. Out of season shoes are in bedroom closets.

Niphredil
02-25-2013, 09:01 AM
I have a junky $10 pressboard DVD shelf we got at a garage sale. It has 4 shelves and each kid can fit a pair of shoes, boots, and slippers on their shelf. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing (it's not ugly either, just visualclutter), but it's small and easy for them to access.