PDA

View Full Version : We're drowning in artwork!

Emerald Orchid
02-13-2013, 09:37 AM
The paper clutter is unbelievable. DS1 draws A LOT and we do arts and crafts and it's piling up everywhere!

I have an "art display" in our living room where I hang 3-4 art pieces at a time. I cycle them.

Everything else goes (in theory - it ends up EVERYWHERE!) in DS's art letterbox, which is, of course, overflowing.

Last month, we went through everything together, so he could decide what to throw and what to keep. He kept half. :doh

He has a really good memory, so inevitably, I'll throw a paper/craft out and he'll ask me about it and be mad that I threw it out.

So how do you deal with the artwork flood?

Two Little Birds
02-13-2013, 09:40 AM
I have an app for that. :giggle

Artkive-take a picture and input details about the piece and then either pass the artwork on to an unsuspecting family member or sneak it out of the house in the dead of night to the trash can. :shifty

ArmsOfLove
02-13-2013, 09:41 AM
When we go through art I allow the keeping of 3 pictures that best reflect your work from that season--I will listen to arguments for up to 5 total

We punch holes in them and put them in a binder

If there is something else special--or a project--I take a picture

I know some people who scan all art into the computer to store

Luciola
02-13-2013, 09:55 AM
I was (am) an artwork/project saver and we took pictures also. Maybe a CD with all the pictures? I like AOL idea of 3-5 best for the season too.

Emerald Orchid
02-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Such wonderful ideas! :ty

Aerynne
02-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Our system has gotten more complicated over the years.

Each child has a long, thin board with clothespins nailed to it where they can hang stuff up in their rooms- whether it's their artwork, centerfolds from magazines, etc. We also have one downstairs for their art.

Each child has an artwork folder that they can put their artwork in. Periodically we go through and add some to their binders and recycle some.

I also have a folder of art they have made for me (that I periodically cull :shifty)

shekinah
02-18-2013, 11:15 AM
You could take photos of them all and dump them into an online scrapbook making thing. I think Shutterfly or something like that? They will print it and mail it to you so you can have a book for each child as a keepsake.

2sunshines
02-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Yep, take a digital picture and then throw it away. the artwork itself won't stand the test of time anyway, but the pictures will last forever. :heart

shekinah
02-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Yep, take a digital picture and then throw it away. the artwork itself won't stand the test of time anyway, but the pictures will last forever. :heart

... Until your computer crashes, and you realize the "someday" you were intending to back everything up on hadn't happened yet ;) Ugh!

mummy2boys
02-19-2013, 10:16 PM
I let the youngest pick which ones to keep (we have max of 10 here) and the the others get recycled as wrapping paper for gifts or go out in the recycle garbage bin.

Reminds me of a parent who came into work today (I work at a preschool) and when she saw all the artwork her daughter had done and was coming home with her she went :crazy and said "Where am I going to put all this???" I suggested the wrapping paper idea to her :giggle

staceylayne
02-19-2013, 10:21 PM
We mail art to aunts/uncles and grandparents, even great-grandparents all the time. The kids LOVE to send mail and the recipients can do with it as they wish. :shifty

I keep intending to take pictures and make a photo book someday...but I've never gotten on top of it.

Beth1231
02-20-2013, 09:11 AM
I love the idea of an art book keepsake...

A loves to draw and her favorites go up on her wall or occasionally my wall. A few live on the fridge for around a week when I ask her if it's a favorite or not (if not, it gets tossed). My personal favorites go in a folder. It REALLY builds up,wow.

Daria_Aleksandrovna
02-20-2013, 09:16 AM

Same here. I have photo of every single one and save somewhere online, to show evolution of skills and tracing with my commentaries over the years :heart....save best ones for special workbook. Then purge the workbook later if it builds up too much.

I wish my mum wasn't such a purger. I love love love kids artwork.

Beth1231
02-20-2013, 09:19 AM
http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca%7CsearchResults~~p%7CJJ649~~.jsp

I like this

ValiantJoy07
02-20-2013, 09:24 AM
I take pictures of it...hang the very most favorite up on the dining room wall hanger thing... Stick the old in a pile...and go through that pile every few weeks when the kids are busy else where.

My kids go through a ream of paper in a matter of weeks. They are always coloring, drawing, cutting etc... The pictures and uploading it to our blog (to be added to the e-book/bound book eventually is what we're doing here.