PDA

View Full Version : Snoring

Mum2Es
02-11-2013, 08:09 PM
My DH snores and stops breathing for short intervals while he's sleeping. Sometimes it's really bad, and sometimes it's no big deal. It scares me though.

He has an appointment to see our GP about it on Thursday but I assume he will just get referred for a sleep study. As we're really not in the position to pay for a sleep study I don't really see the point in seeing the Dr at all.

Does anyone know any natural remedies or solutions to this sort of thing?

Starfox
02-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Breathe rights?

HadassahSukkot
02-11-2013, 11:24 PM
That sounds like sleep apnea. Is he overweight? Sometimes losing weight helps, but sometimes weight gain is caused by apnea.

Will you guys be requesting a sleep study? That really is a good idea to do.

Mum2Es
02-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Breathe rights?
What is that? We're not in the US...

That sounds like sleep apnea. Is he overweight? Sometimes losing weight helps, but sometimes weight gain is caused by apnea.

Will you guys be requesting a sleep study? That really is a good idea to do.

No he's not overweight, he's really fit. :shrug3 We don't think we can afford a sleep study.

Rabbit
02-12-2013, 12:48 AM
Without a sleep study, you won't be able to figure out what is going on.

Mother of Sons
02-12-2013, 01:32 AM
You need the sleep study. There really isn't much that's going to help. Sleep apnea affects every aspect of a persons health. It doesn't only hit the overweight either. You can try the mouth guards or do things to prevent him from rolling onto his back but if he has sleep apnea it will only be a minimal help. I know it's expensive but he needs the sleep study

Mum2Es
02-12-2013, 01:45 AM
:sigh

You know you're not telling me what I want to hear, right? ;)

I guess I knew that though. We need to do the sleep study. :sigh

HadassahSukkot
02-12-2013, 05:18 AM
:hugheart

Starfox
02-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Breathe rights are these little stickers you pit on the outside of your nose to open it more. I don't know.if they'd help with apnea.

cheri
02-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Yeah, you absolutely need the sleep study. Sleep apnea isn't something that can be cured by any natural remedies, and because there are different reasons for sleep apnea and different degrees of it, you really need that sleep study to figure out what's going on.

It's a serious health issue. A lot of people think that snoring is just something funny or annoying, but when you're talking about sleep apnea, it can cause life threatening issues- just the fact that his breathing stops is life threatening. Heart issues are one of the worst things related to sleep apnea.

Yes, it is expensive. But I think it's one of those things that isn't really an option. :( The longer you wait it out, the higher his risks for life threatening problems.