PDA

View Full Version : What's the proper response?

Tandem mama
02-11-2013, 06:02 AM
Cuppycake (2.5) has been saying things like "don't talk a me!!!" when she doesn't like our answer to things. She will also shout, "me not talkin woo me talkin dad!!!"

It's actually hysterical :shifty but I don't want to give positive reinforcement for an inappropriate way to talk. (shouting)

Do I just affirm that she doesn't like what I'm saying and remind her to speak nicely? I don't want to disrespect her feelings but want to teach her respect. That's what I've been doing so far-after I stop laughing :shifty

She is newly very verbal. How do I best deal with this?

MarynMunchkins
02-11-2013, 06:11 AM
My standard response has always been, "You sound angry/frustrated/sad/etc. Use your feeling words in an inside voice." :)

Tandem mama
02-11-2013, 06:17 AM
I should KNOW how to handle this but it's so funny :shifty I got MAD when sunshine spoke like this. But her cute little voice and her cave baby speech and my growth to let things roll off my back all just make it funny now

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

I tell sunshine to try again, but she's 5 and knows what I mean ;) I sometimes forget things between kids :bag

HadassahSukkot
02-11-2013, 06:41 AM
Once in a while JD does that. I usually remind him "Inside voice", and I will ask him who is talking to him (me or DH) and ask him if we talk to him that rudely - answer is generally no - so I tell him we try not to speak rudely to him so he will also not speak rudely to us. . . can we try again?

IF he insists on not talking/looking away, we find some way we are on equal level and footing and talk that way.

It's been a while since we got that line. (Now that I said that, this will very likely change :giggle) I'm not sure how we handled it other than that. All I can think of is those first 2 lines. hmm.... :cup

Tandem mama
02-11-2013, 06:47 AM
The other day I asked her to please speak nicely so she yelled "okay! Me talkin a don!!" because that's what was wrong with the way she spoke-calling him dad

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

I've been scripting, too. "you mean, please don't talk to me" when she does it to sunshine because she just wants to be alone

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Also sometimes, "you mean, I don't want to talk now."