PDA

View Full Version : I need help with feeding my family!

JTLee
02-10-2013, 04:01 PM
I sort of go in and out of depression about this and I'm at a low at the moment. My son is gluten free and dairy free as well as pretty much on the Feingold diet. As soon as anything sneaks in that makes him crazy, it is very obvious so we are sticking to this way of eating but it gets very hard. I'm living just outside of Paris so a trip into the city to find a health food store takes forever and our big walmart-like stores do not have options (after 3 months of severe headaches we figured out Dr. Schar was not for us).

I've had too many failed bread attempts to keep trying.

My 4 yo ds eats golden apples and homemade pb for breakfast, homemade baked fries with a carrot/beet/pomegranate ketchup for lunch, and then a rice flour crust pizza with the same ketchup sauce and vegusto melty pizza cheese. Every day. On the weekends he'll eat waffles, a very rare scrambled egg, and he usually likes a hazelnut meal and zucchini muffin that I sometimes manage to bake. But too much of anything and he's sick of it. But when something new is found that he likes, he gets so excited and only wants that until...he is sick of it. We only allow the fries and pizza on school days to try to keep him from getting sick of them because without them I don't know what to feed him! In the states he loved tuna salad with blue corn chips but I can't get it to taste the same/the texture is different here so he has turned away from that. And he loved nitrate free turkey sandwiches on Udi's. We need portable options that we can take with us when we are in the city but all we have right now is rice cakes with peanut butter and everyone is pretty much sick of that too. He won't eat any meat...we tried flax bread sandwiches with rotisserie chicken sliced up but it would get stuck in his teeth and he flipped out. He despises the texture of cooked rice. Loves the envirokids berry bars but goes crazy because of the berries. He won't eat soup. He's getting vegetables in his diet but only because they are hidden. He doesn't even like chips or chocolate...those save us in a pinch with my daughter if she is starving while we are out and we have run out of snacks. I know texture is a big issue but so are the ingredients. Does anyone have some recipes that work for kids like this? He would live on gluten, dairy, and berries if he could...he loves everything that hurts him or makes him go crazy. He refused to eat baby food until he was 16 months old so food has always been a struggle! I'm just having a hard time without some of our more convenient stand-bys. I feel like all I do is make his food so I'm losing interest in cooking for the rest of us too :(

DD eats everything :/

marbles
02-10-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't know the feingold diet. But we are gluten, dairy and egg free and this book (http://www.amazon.com/The-Healthy-Gluten-Free-Life-Dairy-Free/dp/1936608715/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360537506&sr=8-1&keywords=healthy+gluten+free+life) has been super helpful for us. AFA out of the house easy snacks, larabars are a staple of ours. I don't know if you could get them where you are, but they are easy to make if you have a food processor, so I'm told.

JTLee
02-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Thank you! I just ordered it. At least it might be good for the rest of the family even if he's not interested! Great reviews!

I can make larabars but he is never into them :/

mamacat
02-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Are there any foods you can order from amazon where you are that would be helpful? And it sounds like he is well fed amidst the difficult challenges.You are doing an awesome job!

JTLee
02-11-2013, 02:45 AM
Unfortunately, foods from US Amazon usually won't ship here and the French Amazon doesn't have much. I spent $120 on shipping on an order from Vitacost so not doing that again! From what I can tell, the French sort of understand that some people can't eat gluten or dairy but they don't understand finding healthy solutions...just less than stellar solutions that meet the immediate need. No gluten free freezer section here that I have found, everything is shelf stable...who knows what is in it to make it do that! And the only gluten free cereal I can find close to us is a super strong chocolate kind or muesli. I was excited by the huge selection of flours I found when I arrived and then I realized that all of it is cross contaminated except for one brand that is hard to track down and has a very limited selection. I am able to order some from the UK, but a lot of the sites are selling bulk and those are often contaminated also. There is a looovely and amazing GF cafe in the city but nothing is dairy free. The only thing France has going for them are macarons (if I can confirm flour hasn't been added) and Vegusto cheese! Maybe I just need to open my own place! haha.

ValiantJoy07
02-11-2013, 03:19 AM
That sounds rough :hugheart we're gf and df and corn-light- but we also have great resources here. I have a really yummy bread recipe I can PM you -the only weird thing in it is xantham gum and you can use water instead if milk alternative (soy, almond etc). We have and it doesn't change the flavor of the bread.
I don't k ow your other dietary restrictions...but...

What's about hummus with chips? Or carrots and hummus...

Some other foods...

Apple slices dipped in whipped peanuts and honey? That's a fave snack here.

Celery with PB

Bananas and Pb my kids eat a ton of PB:O

:think other snacks.... avacado pudding (whipped avacado with 1T cocoa and 1 T honey)
Black bean brownies
Rice with brown sugar and cinnamon (w a dallop if raw milk)
Rice and beans are a favorite here.

Like Mamacat said, he is getting fed :yes and I have found that if you *slowly* introduce new stuff...and just keep offering and their only alternative is another food that they do like but are sick of :shifty their diet will widen. My oldest has some sensory issues with food. But we have widened her diet drastically in the last year by saying "this is all we ha e but _______ (food you will eat but are sick of)...you can ha e that when we're done eating our food...w wash rinse repeat after a few weeks she started tasting it...started eating some...now genrraly tolerates it. :hugheart bottom line he is eating. ::)